Quantcast
Chef Knife and more, 1st time REAL knife buying, lets going shopping!
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chef Knife and more, 1st time REAL knife buying, lets going shopping!

Chef Knife and more, 1st time REAL knife buying, lets going shopping!

I am a finance guy by day, serious home cook by night . I want to upgrade to a real chef knife and work from there. I am a male with an avg size hand. My current equipment is nothing to even talk about and I want to start from scratch. Looking for advice as far as what knife(s), a sharping set (advice on how to learn) and what other knifes I should get. Also, help with where you would buy them!

Help with buying:
    1. Chef Knife budget $300 or under, need help w/ size
    2. Paring knife $150 or under
    3. Yanagi $350 or under
    4. Sharping supplies, knife bag, and how to sharpen
    I have a: Bread Knife, Chinese one piece steel handle cleaver, junky chef knife and paring knife going to Goodwill

Enjoying helping me spend money!

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...should-you-buy

answer these questions first please.

=D

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...914#post181914
    here is a good couple knives available

Sorry I am new

What type of knife(s) do you think you want? First of all I am putting together my first real set of knifes
    1. Chef Knife $300 or less, not sure on size, I am thinking 8 inches.
    2. Paring knife $150
    3. Yanagi $350 or less
    4. Sharping supplies, knife bag, and how to sharpen

Why is it being purchased? What, if anything, are you replacing?
    Replacing what I have, which were purchased at Target, nothing great. I am pretty serious and am a want to be chef. I want to have really good knifes.

What do you like and dislike about these qualities of your knives already?
    Aesthetics- Junky plastic
    Edge Quality/Retention- Not sharp, not a good blade
    Ease of Use- It works somewhat
    Comfort- would love a comfort knife, but I'm not cutting all day I have a desk job.

What grip do you use? Pintch Grip

What kind of cutting motion do you use? Rock and Walking

Where do you store them? Maganitic Strip

Have you ever oiled a handle? Nope, I never had wood handle before

What kind of cutting board(s) do you use? Bamboo, I have a few

For edge maintenance, do you use a strop, honing rod, pull through/other, or nothing? Never tried I have $40 knives =[

Have they ever been sharpened? nope

What is your budget? See Above

What do you cook and how often? I am a home cook, and cook everything from Breakfast, to Steak and Sea Scalops

Special requests(Country of origin/type of wood/etc)? I am in Austin Texas, open to anything really

Why do you need a yanagiba?
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Do you know what profile you would like on a chef's (gyuto)?
    one man gathers what another man spills...

I make sushi for friends, I guess I don't really need it. Its cool, not not really needed, you think I should get something else? basically starting from scratch, I do have a great bread knife and a $10 steel handle cleaver lol

My current knife is a German Profile, however I am not married to that profile.

Quote Originally Posted by Meals View Post
    My current knife is a German Profile, however I am not married to that profile.
    Do you like German heft, in other words would you be interested in something on the lighter side or would you like something more substantial? In J-knives, both will cut like nobody's business but figuring out the weight you like will help to narrow the choices a bit. Also, do you like the traditional style handle (western/yo) or be willing to try a wa handle (usually octagonal, round or d-shaped)?
    one man gathers what another man spills...

Quote Originally Posted by chinacats View Post
    Do you like German heft, in other words would you be interested in something on the lighter side or would you like something more substantial? In J-knives, both will cut like nobody's business but figuring out the weight you like will help to narrow the choices a bit. Also, do you like the traditional style handle (western/yo) or be willing to try a wa handle (usually octagonal, round or d-shaped)?
    I have had a heft of a knife, but would like something that is comfortable, med to light weight. Handle I am not sure, I most like will have to try them. I am willing to try a wa.