Quantcast
Chef Knife and more, 1st time REAL knife buying, lets going shopping! - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Chef Knife and more, 1st time REAL knife buying, lets going shopping!

Are there any that I knives that I could try at Sur la Table or SW before I from the above site??

you could just go on over to the closest place that sells similar knives that you are looking into and have a feel for them in person, it would greatly help in your decision. and if you don't like the knife you see there, at least you've held onto and have at least an idea of what you would want.

Quote Originally Posted by franzb69 View Post
    you could just go on over to the closest place that sells similar knives that you are looking into and have a feel for them in person, it would greatly help in your decision. and if you don't like the knife you see there, at least you've held onto and have at least an idea of what you would want.
    I did just that when I was trying to decide between a 210 and a 240 Gyuto...

The 240 felt waaaaay too big to me, so I got the 210, which now seems way too small as almost everyone here said it would.

Hindsight tells me "Listen to advice on here, and follow it."

my bad. and yes. listen, but most folks start out not listening to advice. i did. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by ThEoRy View Post
    Way over priced for a mediocre vg10 blade.
    +1
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

I would check out the Buy/Sell/Trade(B/S/T) section of the forums, there's always lots of good deals floating around.
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

I too started with a 210 thinking a 240 was too big. Now with my main knife now a 240 the 210 feels like a toy. Still use the smaller knives but my Ginga 240 covers pretty much everything I cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Meals View Post
    Are there any that I knives that I could try at Sur la Table or SW before I from the above site??
    No.

Theory put up some good suggestions. You should call Jon at the store those links go to. They sell everything you need, and he is very helpful over the phone. Except the bread knife which is one of my favorites. Tojiro ITK bread knife. I just bought another one and had it mailed to a friend in Hawaii who is building a custom ukulele for me. I already own one of the bread knives. Hope you at least get a 240mm length on your gyuto. I greatly prefer the wa handle. I have a 270mm Gyuto I use for almost everything.

Quote Originally Posted by franzb69 View Post
    my bad. and yes. listen, but most folks start out not listening to advice. i did. lol.
    I listened to people from the other site when I first bought knives. I got bad advice because I followed the wrong people. I didn't pay attention to the details, e.g., specific cutting characteristics that I was looking for versus general comments about performance, how sharp a knife can get. All knives can get sharp, even very sharp. But a sharp knife does not equal a great cutting knife.

It's important to listen to advice from the right, knowledgeable people, not just anyone. Listen to people who have used lots of different knives and pay attention to what they write so you know what kind of knives they like, what they look for in a good knife, and what specific cutting characteristics are good about a knife. Because the knife that one person loves may not be something that you'll like.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Also, to give you a complete and honest picture, there are plenty of places that sell a variety of good japanese knives at all price ranges, not just JKI.
    It is a fact though that JKI really goes the extra mile to understand your needs and give you important guidance, hence all the (deserved) love in this forum.

+ Reply to Thread