Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Chef Knife and more, 1st time REAL knife buying, lets going shopping!

That stone holder is like night and day. The purchase order for any new sharpner should be stone, holder, stone, flattening plate, stone, JNat.

You should keep in mind Meals that the Kochi you are talking about is carbon steel. So my powerful crystal ball is telling me you will buy the Ginga. Anyone that dares to go against the crystal ball will be stricken with the flu.
    "Into a country where the jails are full, and the mad houses closed." - Charles Bukowski

If your Gyuto price is 300.00 under my vote would be for the Gesshin Ginga.I have the Uraku & the stainless in it works well for cutting duties.The Ginga is a step up.These knives are superb & meant to be used.Your 240 Gyuto will be your main knife.

If you are thinking of stepping into the cooking world,I feel a boning knife is a must.I used mine all the time.The Ginga wt. a damp towel on the board,would be good for Maki Sushi rolls.That one Gyuto can do alot of things.I like the Hiromoto AS petty a workhorse blade,only the edge will patina because the core is quality carbon steel.

I would hold off on a Sugi unless you feel you really need it.Start wt. one good Med. stone,I like Bester 1200 or Gesshin 2K.Need a diamond plate to level your stone.And put JKI Jon's sharpening vids,the link shown on this thread on your favorites list & you will be on your way to becoming a freehand sharpener on Whetstones

Quote Originally Posted by Meals View Post
    Are there any that I knives that I could try at Sur la Table or SW before I from the above site??
    FWIW, the myabi artison line at sur la table is pretty nice, and priced pretty low i think. i dont like the handle but theyre good cutters. for the price atleast.

So I am sure I am not going to get any street cred, but I made a few small purchases. I broke my old J H $20 knife opening a spaghetti squash, no love lost. I do really want a Ginga 240 Wa Stainless, but is out of stock...so is the petty I want. I really did want to hold the Ginga before I bought it too. I went to a local chain kitchen store and got a deal on a Global Hollow Edge Santoku and a Global 5 1/2 Nakiri as they were demo knifes for $160. They sharpened them for me, I do like the balance of the knife, its not handle heavy .

I am a home cook, and cut up tons of veggies as I have a vegetarian in the house. I do need some sort of filet knife for fish, and a cleaver, to chop up a whole chickens and to open spaghetti's squashes, although maybe I should get a Deba. If there are any recommendations out there, I did pick up the Tojiro ITK Bread Knife. I have watched all of Jon's sharpening videos, but have not made any purchases in the sharpening dept either, I have one other old knife that I can practice sharpening on too. I don't want a carbon knife, put I'm open to there brands ect. I would like to have a nice collection of different makes ect. So let me know what you think. I know Global isn't the greatest, but I will not be as worried when the lady uses them, and was a good deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Chef Doom View Post
    That stone holder is like night and day. The purchase order for any new sharpner should be stone, holder, stone, flattening plate, stone, JNat.

You should keep in mind Meals that the Kochi you are talking about is carbon steel. So my powerful crystal ball is telling me you will buy the Ginga. Anyone that dares to go against the crystal ball will be stricken with the flu.
    I would say stone and flattener are both #1 as far as necessity. you can sharpen without a holder, and you can do it with one stone, but that stone needs to be flat.
    -Matt

THEORY, do you sharpen your bread knife? I have (and love) the same knife, I noticed its got a big burr on the blade now.

Quote Originally Posted by Meals View Post
    and a cleaver, to chop up a whole chickens and to open spaghetti's squashes, although maybe I should get a Deba.
    Don't use a deba for chickens and squash please! Thats what your cheap chinese cleavers are for!