Endorsement of an awesome reclaimed wood magnetic knife bar maker

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keegan

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm new here. For my first post I want to sing the praises of someone I found on Etsy.com who makes reclaimed wood magnetic knife bars out of teak, oak and other woods. He is a furniture maker so his woodworking skills are top notch. His knife bars end up as one seamless piece of wood. He saws the wood in half, embeds the magnets and then glues the wood back together almost seamlessly - he had to point out the seam in the wood to me, I could not find it. Amazing craftsmanship. The same internal square magnets that hold the knives on also hold the strip of wood to the thick steel backplate, which is what gets screwed to the wall. This means no exposed screws. The square magnets also mean no "dead spots" between round magnets.

I am not affiliated with him or his Etsy shop, I'm just a very very satisfied customer! He can do custom sizes and I cant recommend him enough. Here is his Etsy shopfront. Check him out! http://www.etsy.com/shop/furnishedmodern

Keegan

Welcome, Keegan.

I'm still considering a magnetic knife bar, and will keep your recommendation in mind.

reclaimed wood are always awesome!

i hate putting good materials to waste.

welcome!

Hi Jon!

And thanks for the warm welcome, everyone!

Here are some photos of my knife bar. On the end towards camera in the last two pictures there is a seam hidden there, about 1/6th the way from the right side. The back of the piece is solid wood as well, with two registration holes that fit over the screws. The thick steel back baseplate is also awesome aesthetically. Mine is the teak wood version. Enjoy!

keegan

130218_0001.jpg

130218_0002.jpg

130218_0003.jpg

130218_0004.jpg

so the magnetic forces go through the wood? is the magnet set inside a router slot on the inside? got a pic of the backside?

i love it. the cheap magnet ones sometimes leave a tarnish mark from the steel on steel contact.

It's a nice one! But looks like too much space on that bar. Now time to buy more knives.

Here is a video showing some more detail...

[video=vimeo;59948097]https://vimeo.com/59948097[/video]

so the magnetic forces go through the wood? is the magnet set inside a router slot on the inside? got a pic of the backside?

i love it. the cheap magnet ones sometimes leave a tarnish mark from the steel on steel contact.

Talking of clever craftsmen and artisans who deserve accolade, also have a look at this excellent magnetic knife bar: simple, cheap and quite effective.
I have one and it does its job quite nicely (magnets choice and placement is awesome, as they will "auto-space" your knives and keep them vertical).
http://shop.anniesarc.com/collections/products/magnetic

I lurk a lot more than I post. But I had to buy one of these tonight at the same time I bought the biggest Boardsmith Cutting Board. I love functional upgrades to daily life :)

Welcome Keegan - that's a really slick knife bar I like it.

Etsy is a great way to connect with craftsmen (and women)! I had a quilt made for my daughter, custom fabrics and size for 375. Really a great way to find something unique!

I don't really like the whole "green" thing. I prefer my things to be made out of the rarest things possible preferably things that are extinct or endangered, makes it unique and difficult to obtain or re-create.

wow, that second link to Annie's is a lot cheaper, less than half price plus its 3 inches longer to boot. If i had a place for it would do it, but sadly I bought a massive knife block to house all my random shrapnel (altho its all crap aside from my CN lol)

Back