Quantcast
Recommended large tongs/tweezers ???
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommended large tongs/tweezers ???

Recommended large tongs/tweezers ???

I have a couple pairs of tweezer/tongs, One 10" pair that are kind of middleweight and a set of 6.5" curved ones for small stuff, both from JBPrince. What I'm looking for is a slightly bigger and sturdier set to replace regular tongs. The 10" ones are decent for delicate items, but I want a more solid pair that'll handle heavier/larger stuff, but still offer more precision than regular tongs.
    Has anyone used the 12" pair from JBPrince? They look like they might be a little flimsy.
    Or these:
    http://www.agrussell.com/ag-russell-...ers/p/HKhhh14/
    Those look nice and sturdy, and a lot like the $20 Wusthoff pair that you see, although they're 14 vs 12"

Let me know which ones you guys like. Thanks.

most tweezers that are used for food originally started out as medical tools. you could check out medical supply shops online or in real life. might actually get a better price for the same tools =D

I use feeding tweezers they are a bit sturdy and used to feed crickets to spiders and such. Look almost identical to the ones you posted but they were like 6 dollars off amazon brand is zoo med. I used to have some when I had a ball python they held a mouse fine, so I snaged a pair to do simple things in a kitchen with.

Quote Originally Posted by pumbaa View Post
    I use feeding tweezers they are a bit sturdy and used to feed crickets to spiders and such. Look almost identical to the ones you posted but they were like 6 dollars off amazon brand is zoo med. I used to have some when I had a ball python they held a mouse fine, so I snaged a pair to do simple things in a kitchen with.
    Do they have enough resistance when losing back up? That's the ones thing the 10" pair I have are lacking. They can hold things ok, but the hinge area is fairly weak, and I don't think they'll hold up to normal tong tasks for long before they give up.
    Cheap is good, but I'd rather pay more for a pair that will be strong and hold up for a couple years.

Thanks guys.
    Anyone else use any that they really like???

I have a few of the zoo meds as well for feeding my snakes and lizards, and they hold up fine. Never used them in the kitchen, but I'm sure if they can hold up to rats and such they will be fine for food. Worth a try. Most pet stores sell them as well as amazon.
    "This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!" -Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

Well that's +2 for zoo meds, off to the pet store.
    I was looking again at the AG Russell tongs and it says they're almost 7oz! That's maybe a little TOO heavy duty. I'm not sure I want my tongs to weigh as much as a gyuto.

global plating tongs. cant cook without them
    http://www.jbprince.com/global-japan...ating-tong.asp

I use the wusthof 12 in tongs, work fine for what I use them for, would be interested in an alternative because i am pretty sure they are no longer in production.

im kind of a dick about this, i hate tweezers and tongs, they require no skill whatsoever to use and encourage squeezing of foods. i like to use my hands, the tweezers we were born with, and if necessary, moribashi.

Quote Originally Posted by KCMande View Post
    I use the wusthof 12 in tongs, work fine for what I use them for, would be interested in an alternative because i am pretty sure they are no longer in production.
    If you like tongs, try Rosle. Other than the locking mechanism breaking, they are super strong and durable. The action on them is great, you have so much control over the pressure you use to grab things. Way more than every other tong I have used. The teeth are soft scallops and do not damage, tear or bite into the food. I can grab things pretty much as gently as my fingers..
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

+ Reply to Thread