Mizuno Honyaki repolish

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mainaman

Founding Member
Reaction score
I have Salty's Mizuno from the passaround and when I saw John's thread about the Masamoto honyaki I offered to try and polish the knife to bring out the hamon line.
The knife had patina and some pitting marks from use.

rlw2lf.jpg

I started with green Aoto slurry and polished out the patina and brightened the blade up a lot.
The hamon started to show, at which point I moved on to finger stones.
The result was an OK finish, with milky hamon, that did not stand out too much, at least not as much as I would have liked. I did not feel like grinding finger stones to powder and polishing with it to try and get more contrast.

2eusphl.jpg

dewot2.jpg

The hamon on the front of the knife was hard to photograph and was not as pronounced as the back hamon.

I did not like the natural stone look of the polish so Instead I tried that vinegar / lemon juice method, and I liked the results a lot better.

I did 3 treatments with vinegar and lemon juice in order followed by polishing with 1k Wa powder, then 2k Wa powder.

347jkt3.jpg

24e0x7p.jpg

zl832v.jpg

Continues in next post.

5mbsz6.jpg

2zsbgvb.jpg

eb8sug.jpg

2vwejhh.jpg

2zfigw7.jpg

the materials used for the job- Green Aoto, 1k/2k Wa powders, hard rubber block and a cork

314fss7.jpg

This knife can be made to look a lot better but that will require a bunch more work. For perfect finish the knife will have to be sanded with sand paper to get the pitting out, then redone with the fine powders, then etched and polished more with polishing powders. That is a lot of work but if someone is really determined to do it this knife will look fantastic.

Hey that's lookin pretty cool so far..

Nice work. All these polishing post are almost making me want to get out the sandpaper.

that makes sense, thanks. the way it was capitalized threw me.

mainaman, that looks really really nice! can i ask what kind of towels you use for the powders and to polish? like restuarant kitchen towels? or a shammy?

mainaman, that looks really really nice! can i ask what kind of towels you use for the powders and to polish? like restuarant kitchen towels? or a shammy?
I used the hard rubber block and the cork on the last picture.

I use Daikon & wa powder to polish my carbon knives. work great!! Japanese way!!

I did not like the natural stone look of the polish so Instead I tried that vinegar / lemon juice method, and I liked the results a lot better.

I did 3 treatments with vinegar and lemon juice in order followed by polishing with 1k Wa powder, then 2k Wa powder.

Can you explain how this is? What is the purpose of the vinegar and lemon? I just think about these as things for generating patinas, not polishing. Thanks

Can you explain how this is? What is the purpose of the vinegar and lemon? I just think about these as things for generating patinas, not polishing. Thanks

vinegar and lemon treatment will make hamon line more noticeable!!

"treatment"=etching=lemon/vinegar bath??? are these terms interchangeable where youre more or less talking about the same process? or is etching, lemon/vinegar treatment, and vinegar baths different things altogether?

Wow - looks great so far. I'd like to bring out the hamon on my Takagi honyaki, but the forging is very rustic looking and I doubt it would show up like yours.

"treatment"=etching=lemon/vinegar bath??? are these terms interchangeable where youre more or less talking about the same process? or is etching, lemon/vinegar treatment, and vinegar baths different things altogether?
if I remenber it right.....vinegar bath>polish>lemon juice rub>polish-----> repeat 2~ 3 times!!

Back