Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: intro & questions: first 'true' japanese knife - help needed

Quote Originally Posted by mhlee View Post
    First, I hate to burst your bubble, but I don't think you're going to find what's generally considered a "hand-forged" knife, i.e., an artisan made knife, forged and hammered knife, for 300 euros.
    ??

Yoshikane, Gengetsu, Kochi, Mizuno, to name but a few.

Quote Originally Posted by Matus View Post
    The Hattori FH (solid VG-10) series seems to be highly regarded. I would only prefer less western design.
    Funnily enough, I was just looking at the FH series as I was thinking about asking you all about recommending one to some friends of mine who want to buy a gyuto. My friends don't want to get into forums, and all the knowledge etc, they just will want a really nice knife that will work OOTB and these are within their budget...

When I was looking for the link I found that there is actually a wa-gyuto (japanese handle) in the FH range, and wondered if that would not be a good purchase for Matus? It only comes in 270mmm, but this was suggested as maybe acceptable. It is stainless, great finish, good reputation, price spot on, etc etc?

Now I must stress here that I have no knowledge of this knife at all. I have never tried it and have not even spoken to anyone about it. In my own research over past week or two the FH knives seem to have always been highly spoken of in forums though - maybe someone with some experience of them could give an opinion of these knives? [This would also be helpful for me for when I come to suggest that my friends maybe get one - though that would be a 210 western-gyuto]

Hattori FH 270mm Wa-Gyuto

Thanks!!

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by rdpx View Post
    Funnily enough, I was just looking at the FH series as I was thinking about asking you all about recommending one to some friends of mine who want to buy a gyuto. My friends don't want to get into forums, and all the knowledge etc, they just will want a really nice knife that will work OOTB and these are within their budget...

When I was looking for the link I found that there is actually a wa-gyuto (japanese handle) in the FH range, and wondered if that would not be a good purchase for Matus? It only comes in 270mmm, but this was suggested as maybe acceptable. It is stainless, great finish, good reputation, price spot on, etc etc?

Now I must stress here that I have no knowledge of this knife at all. I have never tried it and have not even spoken to anyone about it. In my own research over past week or two the FH knives seem to have always been highly spoken of in forums though - maybe someone with some experience of them could give an opinion of these knives? [This would also be helpful for me for when I come to suggest that my friends maybe get one - though that would be a 210 western-gyuto]

Hattori FH 270mm Wa-Gyuto

Thanks!!

Robert
    My initial thought would be why this instead of a Yusuke or Ginga which are comparable in price? (the Yusuke is cheaper). Unless you wanted VG-10 instead of Swedish steel of course. Whilst I have no issue with VG-10 at all (although it has its share of detractors) I much prefer 13c26. That said there are folks who claim Hattori's VG-10 as being particularly good.

Quote Originally Posted by Timthebeaver View Post
    My initial thought would be why this instead of a Yusuke or Ginga which are comparable in price? (the Yusuke is cheaper). Unless you wanted VG-10 instead of Swedish steel of course. Whilst I have no issue with VG-10 at all (although it has its share of detractors) I much prefer 13c26. That said there are folks who claim Hattori's VG-10 as being particularly good.
    With regards to this thread Matus has specified he wants wither stainless, semi-stainless or at most a carbon core/stainless clad knife.
    With regards to my friends, they don't want anything that they have to fuss over. Stainless is the way for them I am sure of it.

With regards to this thread Matus has specified he wants wither stainless, semi-stainless or at most a carbon core/stainless clad knife.
    With regards to my friends, they don't want anything that they have to fuss over. Stainless is the way for them I am sure of it.
    Sandvik 13c26 (similar composition to Uddeholm AEB-L) is fully "stainless" (13% Cr).

??

Yoshikane, Gengetsu, Kochi, Mizuno, to name but a few.
    One, he's looking for stainless or stainless-clad. Kochi, Mizuno are out.

Second, it looks like he's limiting himself to places in Germany. At that store, the hand-forged knives are EXPENSIVE.

If he's willing to buy a semi-stainless clad from the US or stainless from the US, I would recommend the Ginga or Gengetsu. But, it looks like the OP isn't looking at US retailers.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

One, he's looking for stainless or stainless-clad. Kochi, Mizuno are out.

Second, it looks like he's limiting himself to places in Germany. At that store, the hand-forged knives are EXPENSIVE.

If he's willing to buy a semi-stainless clad from the US or stainless from the US, I would recommend the Ginga or Gengetsu. But, it looks like the OP isn't looking at US retailers.
    The Yoshikane SKD from Maxim ticks all his boxes and is in the EU. Finish sharpening from Maksim is a boon for a newbie as well.

Agree that the German site is expensive, nowhere near as big a rip-off as the UK sites though!

I was in same position and wasn't looking at US sites, though I am not sure why really.

(Not actually sure anything the OP said actually discounted US sites, its just that his links have only been from Japan or Germany so far)

I was in same position and wasn't looking at US sites, though I am not sure why really.
    I'll tell you. Crazy shipping costs, HM custom duties, handling costs in UK.
    Within Europe, moderate shipping costs, if any. With JCK, flat rate shipping costs only.

The Yoshikane SKD from Maxim ticks all his boxes and is in the EU. Finish sharpening from Maksim is a boon for a newbie as well.

Agree that the German site is expensive, nowhere near as big a rip-off as the UK sites though!
    I don't see any SKD sujihikis on Maxim's site. I also didn't recommend Maxim's site because his maximum price was up to 300 euros. I know Maxim carries really nice items and didn't fall within the OP's price range.

But, since it looks like the OP is willing to exceed the 300 euro limit, then, yes, the SLD sujihikis are something the OP may want to consider once they're back in stock.

http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com...ves-s/1843.htm
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"