Quantcast
intro & questions: first 'true' japanese knife - help needed - Page 8
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: intro & questions: first 'true' japanese knife - help needed

Quote Originally Posted by rdpx View Post
    That NZ one looks nice, but the knives in the pictures all look like they are attached vertically, which might be an issue?
    No issue there as long as you have TWO rows of magnets and therefore each knife is hold it its vertical position with two magnets. The magnetic bar I am about to send back has only in one single place two magnets in vertical orientation what greatly improves the stability of the knife being attached. But it is only in one place AND the bar is rather narrow at 4cm. Width of 6-8 cm together with 2 rows of magnets instead of one should make the bar much more usable.

Have you raised your concerns with the bar manufacturer? It seems like they need to have a new look at their design.

Quote Originally Posted by rdpx View Post
    Have you raised your concerns with the bar manufacturer? It seems like they need to have a new look at their design.
    I did explain in detail why I have decided to return the bar - it is up on them to consider a possible design update. I also found that given the thickness of the board (about 2 cm) - the knife handles are very close to the wall and when you try to grab the knife you will always have to touch the wall which I do not find practical. In comparison - the design from NZ guys gives you a bit more space and so grabbing the knife should be easier.

I will check out the prices for these kind of magnets and maybe try to make my own magnetic bar. Not necessarily to save money, but just 'produce' something myself again

Regarding the magnetic knife holder - I started to to think to make one myself. I have just come across on one very interesting DIY project which has a great detailed description. Have a look at the Rainbow Wood Magnetic Knife Strip.

I have just realized that once I have got the knives I should have a closer look at our cutting boards. While all our boards are made of wood (the bamboo ones are only used to cakes, do not worry ).

I am aware of the BoardSMITH (those boards look really nice but seem a bit thick at 2"), but I would prefer to a get a nice board in Europe, as importing is really not attractive on this type of article. So - any ideas about cutting boards in EU?

thanks

+ Reply to Thread