Quantcast
Kanehiro AS (Hiromoto wa-equivalent)?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kanehiro AS (Hiromoto wa-equivalent)?

Kanehiro AS (Hiromoto wa-equivalent)?

Has anyone heard of, used, or seen one of these in person?

Just saw them on CKTG site as I didn't recognize the name, yet they aren't in the new arrivals section. They basically describe themselves as being wa-handled versions similar to Hiromoto AS knives.

I remember a while back on the other forum, we had around 60+ people that were in for a wa-handled 270 Hiromoto AS to give them a business case to build some more with guaranteed demand, but they still would not do it...wondering if these would be a nice alternative (although looks like 240 gyuto is the largest size right now).

http://www.This Site Not Allowed Here.com.com/kanehiro.html

Kanehiro Knives
    We have been searching for a blacksmith or small company to make a wa-handled equivalent of the popular Hiromoto knives. Kanehiro knives are offering just such a knife and we're happy to add their knives to our site. These knives feature aogami super steel (also called blue paper #2 super) on the core and the knife is then clad with stainless stainless steel to protect most of the knife from reacting with acids or moisture. These knives will only oxidize right along the edge. Knife sharpeners love aogami super steel because it takes an acute edge and holds it. The knives have high hardness of HRC 62-63. Hiroshi Kato (second generation) runs a small blacksmith shop in Takefu Village along with 2 others. The blade engraving in Kanji means "Echizen" and "Made by Kintaro". Kintaro is the late smith (first generation), Mr. Kintaro Kato.

Good question. Sounds like someone needs to take the plunge.

I agree 100%! Can't be me, as I don't have a need for anything new for a while...

Someone who has/had a Hiromoto AS, please give one of these a try and let us know how it compares.

you mean thinned and etched...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    I wonder how it'll look etched?
    You are a bad man.

The incredibly sophisticated Boise, ID <g>
    The first question that pops into my mind ....is it the fact that this clearly appears to be a more hand made knife...or the wa handle which makes it worth (in 210 and 240) $100 better ... over the Hiromoto? If I was looking for a wa handle alternative for the Hiromoto, I think I'd have been looking for something a little closer in price. Doesn't appear to be an "equivalent" to me. Shrug

And whoever takes the plunge first should have it shipped directly to Dave for the thinning and etching....
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

It seems to be advertised as a Wa handled Hiromoto, but it in actuality it appears to just be a clad knife with a wa handle and a Aogami Super core. It is made by a different factory, it doesn't look like the grind or profile was copied that closely. The only thing it appears to have in common with the Hiros is the AS core. Has about as much in common with Takedas.

I like Mark, have bought from Mark, and will buy from Mark again. But I don't think we need generic versions of every hard-to-find Japanese knife out there.