Quantcast
Kanehiro AS (Hiromoto wa-equivalent)? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kanehiro AS (Hiromoto wa-equivalent)?

^^^

How many stainless clad AS knives are there on the market. This knife definitely has it's niche.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." --Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyChance View Post
    It seems to be advertised as a Wa handled Hiromoto, but it in actuality it appears to just be a clad knife with a wa handle and a Aogami Super core. It is made by a different factory, it doesn't look like the grind or profile was copied that closely. The only thing it appears to have in common with the Hiros is the AS core. Has about as much in common with Takedas.

I like Mark, have bought from Mark, and will buy from Mark again. But I don't think we need generic versions of every hard-to-find Japanese knife out there.
    imo, stainless clad is a big difference from iron clad. there aren't a whole lot of stainless clad carbon steel cores and i think it's a nice choice to have.

oops. sorry, Rock. didn't realize there was a second page...

I am very interested in these and was going to get one but then I remembered that first I wanna get a Masamoto KS, Gesshin Ginga, Ashi chuka and maybe a bunch of other stuff so this is going to have to wait.

And, yes, I am jonesing badly for knives right now.

Addicts, I am surrounded by addicts...

Stefan

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyChance View Post
    It seems to be advertised as a Wa handled Hiromoto, but it in actuality it appears to just be a clad knife with a wa handle and a Aogami Super core. It is made by a different factory, it doesn't look like the grind or profile was copied that closely.. But I don't think we need generic versions of every hard-to-find Japanese knife out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by bikehunter View Post
    Doesn't appear to be an "equivalent" to me. Shrug

Both of these comments seem a little strange/funny to me.

The exact reason people covet Hiromoto so much is because it has an AS core cladded in stainless, and they are a bargain at their price point...the defining characteristic has never been the profile or grind. Also, it is really hard to judge the geometry from just a profile shot (it looks as if it might taper heavily the last 1/3 to the edge, so who knows, it could even have better geometry than a Hiro)

I'm not defending these new knives at all, as I have no feelings towards them and they aren't something I personally am interested in...however, I just don't see how you can say they aren't wa-handled alternatives to a Hiromoto, considering the main reason people purchase a Hiromoto is for the AS/stainless combo...which these knives have. Even the exposed carbon edge has a similar lamination line styling.

There was previously a large demand for wa-handled knives that had an AS core surrounded by stainless(Hiromoto), yet they would not make them. These are now trying to fill that niche, albeit at a higher price point...I guess I'm just not understanding the comments about them being so different that they wouldn't fill this void.

Seb - what took you so long to come over here? Glad to see you.

I guess I must be one of the lucky ones who got a Hiromoto WA AS knife from Korin. It's a 270 Suji and I've only used it a handful of times cutting roasts. I don't believe I've ever sharpened it.

My records say I bought it in January of 2010 for $187 shipped.

It is a beauty and super sharp. I COULD use a matching gyuto!

However, funds are a tad tight now. And I'll wait for someone to review the "look-a-like!"

I'm just saying this, because I finally bit and ordered one...Murray Carter's SFGZ line would compare to this line (petty, especially) and from what I've read/ heard the Carter is a pure performer.
    I guess I chose tried and true!
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

+ Reply to Thread