Quantcast
Pipe Smokers, Any on here?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pipe Smokers, Any on here?

Pipe Smokers, Any on here?

Hello all! I have seen a few posts about cigars, but none about tobacco pipes. I just recently got into it and have a semi cheap pipe from the local store. I am enjoying it alot, I dont smoke cigarettes and have never smoked a cigar but this is different, it is a great way to relax! I would love to see some of you other guys favorite pipes/tobacco. Maybe some tips for a beginner?

i was, until my collection of mostly vintage French and Italian pipes were stolen, a couple years ago. i still have some GL Pease aging in sealed jars, though, not that it does much for me.

as a Native I used to carve my own pipes out of catlinite or soapstone. long hollowed out pipestems and such. we used to make our own kinnikinnick for smoking. several different blends depending on mood and ceremony.

tobacco
    bear berries (uva ursi arctostyphyllus)
    cedar
    manzanita
    white sage
    grandfather sage
    sweet grass
    and a few other herbs

It's been years though. I need to get some pipestone or soapstone and start carving again, its very relaxing. Can't smoke anymore though, not good for the heart.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

"and a few other herbs"
    Ahhh....the good ol' days!

Haven't smoked in years either, but for some reason brought my Rhodesian with me when I came here. Still sitting in my desk in a zip lock.
    This may the opportunity to seek out a tobacconist.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

yup, piper since 1969. Prefer straight Virginia's & VaPers. Will do an occasional mild english like Penzance or Westminster.

My current stash & Pipes:

Penzance...Is that esoterica? I haven't smoked in some time and I'm afraid the only pipe I have left is a Savinelli. DSChief is that a Karl Eric I see on the top center of your pipe collection? My main smoke was Davidoff Scottish. BTW are the cars O scale?
    Who you jivin' with that Cosmik Debris?

In Europe the briar comes from the Mediterranean area, Corse, Sicily and Algeria. Pipe production used to be centered in Saint-Claude (Jura, France) and later on, in London.
    Is briar (bruyère, Erica arborea) known in America?

By the way, some Wikipedia guy states root briar is being used in knife handles. Hard to belief, I guess that would be quite expensive.

Ah, the pipe is my next biggest hobby after kitchen knives. I don't get to enjoy as often as I would like to though. I got a few Falcons recently, have been working on breaking those in, trying to work through some C&D Roasting Chestnuts. My cellar is mostly Va, some VaPer, and various other stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckfat View Post
    Penzance...Is that esoterica? I haven't smoked in some time and I'm afraid the only pipe I have left is a Savinelli. DSChief is that a Karl Eric I see on the top center of your pipe collection? My main smoke was Davidoff Scottish. BTW are the cars O scale?
    Top Center { the one up-side down = A Stanwell DeLuxe circa 1971 }

The cars a "G" scale, thats another money pit i've gotten into..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSv41zhUj50