Quantcast
My belt sander is attacking me - help!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: My belt sander is attacking me - help!

  1. #1
    Das HandleMeister apicius9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    3,145

    My belt sander is attacking me - help!

    Well, never had any issues with my Jet combined belt and disc sander, but today it started electrocuting me. I get zapped whenever I touch the metal (while it is running) or even when I am sanding pieces with metal spacers the current runs trough it. I admit, it needs a good cleaning and I will do that first thing tomorrow. But does anybody know what else I should be looking for? I'm a bit of a dummie when it comes to anything electrical. Of course, I could bug Woodcraft, but I have dozens of pieces prepared for sanding over the next week, so the timing is really annoying. Thanks for any tip you may have,

    Stefan

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    sachem allison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    3,887
    good cleaning needed. unscrew the cowling where the cord goes in the back and see if any connections are loose. vacuum up any loose metal dust from the spacer grinding. Then check the connections to the switch, make sure everything is tight and not loose. sometimes, connections vibrate loose or screws come unwound and arcing occurs. check to make sure there are no cuts, cracks or burns in the wiring or cord. If that still doesn't help, take it outside, douse it with gasoline, set it on fire, unzip your pants and piss on it.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

  3. #3
    Das HandleMeister apicius9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    3,145
    LOL, I had that last thought many times before I assume it's static building up, but I have not changed anything, sander is in the same spot, I am wearing the same work shoes etc. Just was wondering why that suddenly started and how to get rid of it. I just read that humidity and temperature may have something to do with it, but usually it should be humid enough out here (even though it has been very windy and a bit colder than normal, lately). Will definitely start with a thorough cleaning tomorrow.

    Stefan

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    45
    You are getting current to the chassis somehow. I would imagine, as Son said, that you have metal either built up inside, or something has come loose. It should be pretty clear to tell where its happening there should be a small burn mark where the arcing inside is taking place. You could also just put on gloves to shield yourself in the interim, but be careful shorts can do big damage to equipment.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    sachem allison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    3,887
    Quote Originally Posted by apicius9 View Post
    LOL, I had that last thought many times before I assume it's static building up, but I have not changed anything, sander is in the same spot, I am wearing the same work shoes etc. Just was wondering why that suddenly started and how to get rid of it. I just read that humidity and temperature may have something to do with it, but usually it should be humid enough out here (even though it has been very windy and a bit colder than normal, lately). Will definitely start with a thorough cleaning tomorrow.

    Stefan
    Windy and colder. It's you building up a charge, you need to ground yourself first. they actually make a small personal grounding device for situations like this. I'll see if I can find it.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

  6. #6
    Senior Member zitangy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    SIngapore
    Posts
    470
    Quote Originally Posted by sachem allison View Post
    Windy and colder. It's you building up a charge, you need to ground yourself first. they actually make a small personal grounding device for situations like this. I'll see if I can find it.
    I wld be at a loss too...

    1)source of electricity either internal ( arcing) or external ( static)

    2) Internal.. as mentioned.. possibly a loose connection or a build up that makes it possible to "jump" and heaven forbid... when it becomes permanent. This is more serious as it can kill?

    3) External. I suppose rubber gloves or " finger condoms" wld help.

    4) either way, grounding it either on the man or the equipment.

    Has to be resolved and might as well get it done asap.

    Either way a test pen wld be handy in the endeavor to resolve teh issue

    Just a thought on Son's suggestion... Assuming that you are peeing on the equipment with teh equipment running, wld electricity travel up to the person via the "water jet"

    Good luck..
    D

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Vail, AZ
    Posts
    809
    Quote Originally Posted by zitangy View Post
    4) either way, grounding it either on the man or the equipment.
    This is a very common one I've heard a lot about.

    Hopefully it gets fixed soon! That could get pretty scary.

  8. #8

    knyfeknerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    Posts
    2,358
    Stefan's machines are rising up against him!
    Soon SkyNet will take over the world.
    Sorry about all your bad luck lately, I hope all your tools start behaving reasonably.
    No matter how high the throne,
    there sits but an ass.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Bangor Maine
    Posts
    330
    Had this happen with a disc sander I made. It had to do with the brushes in the old motor needing to be replaced. It can be dangerous.

  10. #10
    Senior Member DeepCSweede's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Mequon, WI
    Posts
    1,226
    It's a pretty simple fix - if it is electrocuting you - UNPLUG IT!!
    I was thinking more along the lines of that Russian Meteorite is bringing the machines to life ala Maximum Overdrive

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts