Evolution of a Western Handle

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marko Tsourkan

Founding Member
Reaction score
Humble beginnings

DSC_0502.jpg

DSC_0504.jpg

DSC_0503.jpg

Nothing humble about that koa - can't wait to see it Marko.

Koa is just for presentation. I am finalizing the shape of the Western, so this is a first of of few prototypes before I settle on one. There is a learning curve to this type of handle, so I guess by putting my work in the open, it gives me an incentive to improve quickly and to gauge the progress (sometimes I forget how the first ones looked like).

The design looks pretty good to me. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Do you have any pics next to the target knife for scale? Shape looks good, but looks a little thick in the middle, maybe its the picture though.

It is a little big handle, though knives I had it mind for are 320mm and 300mm respectively (see here). Also, it is just roughly shaped, rounding and finishing would probably remove 1/16 of the current thickness.

I wanted to feel it in my hand, to see if flanges in the back worked as a stop when a knife is moved from a pinch grip (scimitar is tall enough for that) to a handle grip for slicing motion.They did.

Now I am going to make a slightly more refined prototype. By making several before moving onto a real handle, gives me an opportunity to figure out the process and arm myself against possible issues- hopefully reducing failures down the road.

Now you just have to figure out my handle. :poke1:

Is he supposed to make it with that stick your poking him with?

Marko, its always fun to watch your progression. I'm sure by the time you master the western it will be spectacular.

I think it's pretty interesting how the front of the handles is hollow, like what an integral would be like. Looking forward to seeing more!

Back