Quantcast
Four-sided strop - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Four-sided strop

after using several surfaces, balsa is by far my favorite. i even prefer it to fine paper on glass. it yields just enough.

I have had good success with a 3 x 12 balsa strop too.The best thing about the balsa strop is I can true it on my granite plate if it gets damaged.

One is set up aggresively with chromium treated split leather, plain smooth leather, .25 diamond and just plain balsa.

The other is all balsa with 1.0 micron boron, .5 chromium, .25 diamond and .125 boron.

Granted they aren't the most beautiful things in the world. But if you can come up with a compromise of form and function my guess is you'll make Nesmuck's $400 one look silly.

For a couple of years I've been contemplating making a nice 4-sided strop to sell but I always back off the project because of complications. I think it's an excellent idea though and hope that you can make it work.

I haven't tried balsa but I get excellent results with leather. The thinner the better. Too much give is a problem. So far, I like the leather that comes with Dave's hone the best and I'm not trying to be nice to Dave either. I like the design, too since the metal backing keeps it flat. I like others, too but if I could only have one sheet of the stuff, I'd choose Dave's. I don't care for felt, either. It's way too porous.

If it is to be covered with leather, and not stropped on the surface like balsa wood, I would probably look for wood that is stable but not too heavy. I might do a two tone construction to embellish it a bit.

I made some drawings, now need to put them in practice.

Marko

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

What do you think of putting a bevel on the edges between the different strops? It would be a lot more work, I'd imagine but you'd see the wood and maybe be less contamination.

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    What do you think of putting a bevel on the edges between the different strops? It would be a lot more work, I'd imagine but you'd see the wood and maybe be less contamination.
    Sounds great. It is actually not that much work. Just a pass with a router.

Marko, are you going to try to have the base somehow hold the strop elevated? You said you were trying to avoid cross-contamination, so if you did something like Salty's strop, I could see how there could be a concern for cross-contamination since the four sided strop rolls over on a base that touches all the different sides and compounds (don't know if it has made any difference to Salty, but it seems relevant to what you posted earlier). Are you going to create a base that would hold the strop elevated above the base and never actually touching any surface except at the ends (where Salty put the handles on his strop)?

Quote Originally Posted by heirkb View Post
    ...Are you going to create a base that would hold the strop elevated above the base and never actually touching any surface except at the ends (where Salty put the handles on his strop)?
    That's the idea

+ Reply to Thread