Quantcast
Four-sided strop
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Four-sided strop

Four-sided strop

Hey guys,
    I want to make a four-sided strop of my design. Can you help me out with dimensions? I was thinking 2" wide and 12" stropping surface. What do you think?

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

I'd say that's perfect. I hardly get 2" of leather on my edge at any one time and I definitely prefer 12" over shorter ones. I haven't tried longer. Why four sides? Not that there's anything wrong with four but three seems like plenty. Two compounds and smooth leather or something like that.

The strop will have 4 sides, but not all four have to be used. It's easier to shape a square than a triangle.

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    ...but not all four will be used...
    Okay, I'm curious...

Because a 3x12 balsa block is dirt cheap and the leather can be bought in 6x12 sheets in either split or smooth. Why 3 inches? Less chance of bending the knife over the edges than on a narrower strop. Wide control surface, less passes, you can feel the knife better.

I use all three inches of the width and 12 inches of length.

I've been using mine like a steel and to finish sharpening. I go to the stones far less often these days.

Only three sides would be a waste. IMO.

i have two 3w x 12l x 2h balsa blocks that i use for stropping. one with .5 CrO and the other with .25 diamond. i rarely hit the stones now, unless i really give a knife a workout. i have two others just like it, waiting for different compounds. only cost a couple bucks, i think.

And you can come up with your own strop "cocktail" by mixing up the surfaces.

The best $18 knife related investment I ever made.

i haven't tried mixing compounds. what cocktails do you like so far?

I definitely don't see how you wouldn't want to use all four sides if you've got a four-sided strop. I also see the fun in experimenting with lots of different compounds/substrates. I'm not sure what Marko is after here but his stuff is generally heirloom-type quality. As a buyer, I'd probably only buy one if I knew what compounds I wanted to put on. Personally, I'd do 0.5 micron Cr2O3 (smooth edge) and either 0.25 micron diamond or cbn (toothier edge) and a bare, smooth leather side. If I had a fourth side, I'm not sure what I'd do with it... If I was experimenting and I had a lot of room to store stuff, I'd go with something like the HA or Dave's strop or just a bunch of blocks with different substrates on each.

I was thinking to build a strop that is easy to change sides and allows a least chance of cross contamination. I haven't finalized the design (might have to twick it further once I make the first) but I thought 3" wide might be too cumbersome. I see where Scott is coming from, I use 3" strop myself.
    Will take a look at Balsa wood.

M