Quantcast
Four-sided strop - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Four-sided strop

Sort of like the old oil stone where the protruding handle holds the stones up.

I have L molding on the ends of the block. So only the 1/2 inch at the ends cross. I also bevel the corners.

Quote Originally Posted by Salty dog View Post
    Sort of like the old oil stone where the protruding handle holds the stones up.

I have L molding on the ends of the block. So only the 1/2 inch at the ends cross. I also bevel the corners.
    Good point. I guess yours are already elevated in a sense. If the L molding was taller, you could cut out notches that were the size of your handles and put the handles in those. Then it could be elevated as high as you like. Since yours is performing well enough to be cutting tomatoes with just the weight of the knife, doesn't seem like you need it.

The prototype is in works. It will be a failry simple, but it will give me a chance to think of improvements. Most 12/4 lumber is slightly less than 3". With squaring, the final size is likely to be about 2 3/4" x 12 of stropping area.

Any suggestions where to get 3-4 oz leather?

Also, would it make sense to have one side lined with a deburring pad?

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post

Any suggestions where to get 3-4 oz leather?
    I just got some 3" bridle double shoulder leather from Zack White Leather Company. Not cheap, but very very nice. I've been using it for straight razor and kithcen knife stropping. Excellent results so far!

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    Also, would it make sense to have one side lined with a deburring pad?

M
    I think so. Or a spot on the base to store or mount a block of hard felt or cork.

Keen to see what develops. Much respect for Marko's work. Have one of his sayas - need to add on to my collection. Been looking around for a strop setup too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
    Keen to see what develops. Much respect for Marko's work. Have one of his sayas - need to add on to my collection. Been looking around for a strop setup too.
    Likewise. I feel as though I'm ready to get into the stropping game and this looks like it's shaping up to be pretty interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by qvindtar View Post
    Likewise. I feel as though I'm ready to get into the stropping game and this looks like it's shaping up to be pretty interesting.
    It's going to be a little while before I get to it.
    '
    M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyChance View Post
    I think so. Or a spot on the base to store or mount a block of hard felt or cork.
    I wouldn't mind the storage idea but an entire side seems excessive to me. I don't use a special deburring pad at all anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    I wouldn't mind the storage idea but an entire side seems excessive to me. I don't use a special deburring pad at all anymore.
    you prefer cutting into felt or cork to stropping on a felt pad? or do you not cut into felt/cork at all.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney