Quantcast
Tojiro DP?
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tojiro DP?

Tojiro DP?

I have been idly trying to convince myself that I need a sujihiki knife, and I probably could manage without one, but I also may well end up buying one soon as I seem to have got the bug.

So if I do, I can't really justify spending much, and have been looking at the Fujiwara FKM, FKH and CarboNext.

I just got a CarboNext 210 Gyuto, and so it might be nice to try something different. Also the other two keep me under $100, which is also very nice for my bank account. I think the FKH is probably not right either as so many threads seem to say that this knife reacts badly smell/taste wise with a lot of food, and that this persists for a few months. If I can be convinced that I should just get a second CarboNext because it is just way better I could maybe swallow that, but I am guessing that the price difference (FKM = $95 CN=$146 - delivered)

So that kind of leaves me with the FKM 270mm Sujihiki.

So I have a couple of questions.....

1. Am I right to write off the FKM?
    2. What are opinions on the FKH?
    3. Should I just throw caution to the wind and get a 300mm CarboNext for $161?

And then I came across this knife, on **clearance** from a UK seller for £66 delivered ($103)

TOJIRO "ECO" 27cm SLICING KNIFE

Now as far as I can tell that is a Tojiro DP 270mm sujihiki, at a price CHEAPER than I could get it from a US dealer, before shipping.

Is there a catch here? [a UK seller CHEAPER than USA??????? someone wake me up!!!]

Any views on whether it actually is the DP, and also whether the DPs are any good?

I am justifying this by saying I want it to slice meat with (roasts, hams etc) but would probably end up just playing with it as much as I can, switching between it and my 210 CN.... I basically just want to buy another knife to sharpen and play with....

Any advice on the FKM, FKH, vs CN and also on the DP and whether indeed this is DP would be most welcome.....

Thanks

Robert

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    The pic looks like a DP. I would usually comment on how much I have loved my DP's, but I can't say with conviction that this one is made as good as the old ones. The "eco-handle" is really throwing me off, and I don't know if manufacturing and QC is what it used to be.
    I totally understand your wanting to buy, buy, buy!!! You've been bitten by the bug!
    Only recently have I been able to stop myself.
    $103 sounds like a decent deal to me!
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

tojiro is a great intro to j-knives, but then you kinda already had that intro with a better knife. it's a notch below the carbonext in performance....so you might wanna consider something a little better as you might feel that it is a lesser knife. although a great knife especially for the price, it will feel lesser in performance.

i'd suggest something better. but it really is up to you. =D

like a carbon clad in stainless, or something stainless/sanmai and stainless but in better steel.

Why not try a carbon this time around? Once you get some patina the smells will go away, and if you are bothered too much then you could always just force a patina.
    one man gathers what another man spills...

Quote Originally Posted by chinacats View Post
    Why not try a carbon this time around? Once you get some patina the smells will go away, and if you are bothered too much then you could always just force a patina.
    http://japanesechefsknife.com/FKHSer...FKH%20Sujihiki

I got the FKH a while ago, same situation, I wanted a suji but didn't use it often enough to justify spending a lot on it. The FKH is great, fit and finish on the handle was good, the OTB edge wasn't great, but it's super easy to sharpen and once you do it holds an edge well.. Pretty reactive, but I only use it on proteins so it got a really nice blueish patina quickly and is very easy to maintain now. The only thing I would upgrade it to would be a Hiro AS, but at almost three times the price I don't use it often enough. (but some day I will anyway)

either FKH or FKM will do the trick. +1

Quote Originally Posted by joetbn View Post
    http://japanesechefsknife.com/FKHSer...FKH%20Sujihiki

I got the FKH a while ago, same situation, I wanted a suji but didn't use it often enough to justify spending a lot on it. The FKH is great, fit and finish on the handle was good, the OTB edge wasn't great, but it's super easy to sharpen and once you do it holds an edge well.. Pretty reactive, but I only use it on proteins so it got a really nice blueish patina quickly and is very easy to maintain now. The only thing I would upgrade it to would be a Hiro AS, but at almost three times the price I don't use it often enough. (but some day I will anyway)
    Couldn't agree more. My FKH sujihiki, as all carbons, has calmed down after about a year with a forced patina. Some reports suggest that with backing soda and no forced patina you may get the same result much faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Benuser View Post
    My FKH sujihiki, as all carbons, has calmed down after about a year......
    A year!!!!

You see this is what makes me hesitate.
    There seems to be a lot of love for these knives though.

Quote Originally Posted by rdpx View Post
    A year!!!!
    It may take much longer to master the moderate VG-10 by Tojiro.

a year seems like a reasonable amount of time. besides, it's a knife that doesn't really get a lot of use so YMMV (your mileage may vary).

love for them because of their bang for their buck! =D

different carbon steels when it comes to reactivity also vary. and you can always force a patina so you can minimize the problem.

but if that is putting you off of carbon blades, then one that's cladded in stainless steel will also help minimize your worry and maintenance.

yeah, VG-10 is a finicky steel when it's not done right. heat treating that is. tojiro's heat treat isn't as bad as shun's i think. i bought my mom a 4inch shun santoku, not that she's ever used it though. lol. she's afraid coz it's so darn sharp, but then so are all my knives compared to what's at home.