Quantcast
Tojiro DP? - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 41

Thread: Tojiro DP?

  1. #21
    Senior Member stevenStefano's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Norn Iron
    Posts
    1,391
    I remember emailing that place and asking them if those knives are the DP line and they basically didn't know. It's a good price for UK vendors. The DPs ain't bad, performance wise it won't match the Carbonext though. I'd borrow Tom's Hattori and see how you like it. Something to note is that Hattori's VG10 is quite a bit better than most others. Maybe you'll like it so much you'll get one

  2. #22
    Senior Member K-Fed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Palm City, FL
    Posts
    765
    The fkm suji isn't a bad knife by any means. If you're hesitant about carbon I think it's a great way to get you're feet wet. I bought one for a co-worker as a christmas gift and while the edge ootb was't spectacular they sharpen up very nicely and hold it pretty darn well. The knife I gifted has cut hundreds of lbs. of fish and will probably just bring my stones with me tonight to work and sharpen it up for him tonight whether he thinks it needs it or not. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the fkm as a first suji. Great knife for the price. I think unless you're cutting sashimi with you're suji taking a slightly steeper angle at the cost of reactivity is overrated. Just my humble opinion.

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    England
    Posts
    439
    FWIW, those knives are discounted in the same way many knives are IE they have never been at the full price. I saw them around when they were first listed and considered it, but they were always 'clearance' stock.

    My opinion would be that if you can afford the CN, and think that you want a suji, get it. At worst you'll regret it until next payday.

    E: They have actually sold quite a few since they first got listed. The range of 'ecos' they used to have was much bigger. I also asked them if it was the DP. They were unsure. I asked Mark, and he seemed to think they were the same range.

  4. #24
    Senior Member rdpx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    359
    Quote Originally Posted by mhlee View Post
    I would buy it if you're interested in trying it out. You'll likely be able to sell it here for a slight loss since it's at such a good price to start. It's only nominally cheaper here in the US.
    Am interested in getting a suji, but not trying out that particular one per se...

    Quote Originally Posted by stevenStefano View Post
    I'd borrow Tom's Hattori and see how you like it. ... . Maybe you'll like it so much you'll get one
    Well, that is precisely why I might not take him up on it!

    Quote Originally Posted by K-Fed View Post
    The fkm suji isn't a bad knife by any means. If you're hesitant about carbon I think it's a great way to get you're feet wet. I bought one for a co-worker as a christmas gift and while the edge ootb was't spectacular they sharpen up very nicely and hold it pretty darn well. The knife I gifted has cut hundreds of lbs. of fish and will probably just bring my stones with me tonight to work and sharpen it up for him tonight whether he thinks it needs it or not. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the fkm as a first suji. Great knife for the price. I think unless you're cutting sashimi with you're suji taking a slightly steeper angle at the cost of reactivity is overrated. Just my humble opinion.
    Not hesitant about carbon by any means, just the FKH carbon. I would actually LIKE a carbon I think as it seems like a more "interactive" kind of material, as it were.
    Someone earlier said the FKH was made from SK-4, so I googled that and found this (on jknives.com), which doesn't exactly inspire confidence:

    "SK4 - Low grade steel, mainly due to impurities. Used mainly in hand tools like axes and hammers. Can be found in cheap kitchen knives as well"

    Quote Originally Posted by rdm_magic View Post
    FWIW, those knives are discounted in the same way many knives are IE they have never been at the full price. I saw them around when they were first listed and considered it, but they were always 'clearance' stock.
    Whatever the dumb "discount" nonsense may be, it is fact that the price is basically the same as USA that caught my attention. They don't seem like a store that would have much of a clue about specialist stiff though, judging from the listings.

    Robert

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Seattle, WA USA
    Posts
    242
    My first two J-knives were Tojiro DP. There is nothing wrong with them by any means. Because of the price point it seems like a great place for a lot of folks to start down the j-knife road? I out grew them pretty quickly, but I am a dork who really runs with the whole "if a little is good then a lot will be much better" philosophy. I see no reason that the DP in this role won't meet or exceed your expectations? How often will it really be used? Once a month seems like a stretch for me anyway. The only roasts I do more than that that are chickens and the suji isn't really a chicken knife.

    I'm sure the Tojiro will get it done for you. But if you just "know" that you'll want something "better" then it's just a matter of getting to where you are OK with spending the extra cash. Buy once, cry once so to speak?

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,627
    I've always believed that it's better to buy something nice first, rather than buying something that I would be okay with and trying to upgrade. Although it's been rather easy to buy and resell my knives here, I do see that other knives can take a while to be sold.

    From what I've observed, if you buy something inexpensive that you want to upgrade from, it's not as difficult as to sell cheaper knives because you can only lose so much money on them. So, if you're interested in just trying a suji, buy a cheap one that's basically what you're looking for, whether it's stainless or carbon, wa or western. The steels should all be decent, but nothing special and, as I've been constantly reminded by others more knowledgeable than me, the treatment of the steel means a lot more than just looking at the type of steel.

    So, buying an inexpensive suji but good quality one is probably a fine strategy as long as you're ok with taking a little hit on your return to sell it if you're not happy with it. But, I don't really understand why you wouldn't want to try a good suji right off the bat. At least you'll have a point of comparison and you don't have to buy it immediately. You'll spend more money out of pocket if you buy a cheap one and don't like it and are forced to sell it. (No money spent to try one.) If you're worried about handling it, just ask the owner (who was gracious enough to offer) to put an edge on it and don't sharpen it yourself. Use soft sponges (no scrubbing pads to clean it) and baby it. But, use it once and you'll probably know if you're a suji kind of person.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

  7. #27
    Senior Member rdpx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    359
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    I'm sure the Tojiro will get it done for you. But if you just "know" that you'll want something "better" then it's just a matter of getting to where you are OK with spending the extra cash. Buy once, cry once so to speak?
    Yes I think you are right in all you say Paradox!
    Choice at that price point is bewteen DP/FKM/FKH - so although DP will be fine, would I be happier with one of the others?
    I was just having a browse on JKI as it struck me that I have family in California and they are coming over in 3 weeks, so could avoid all post/import worries... (but I guess there is 9% tax for california buyers?)

    I saw the Gesshin Uraku 270mm suji, which I could maybe just blow out on, but it is showing as OUT OF STOCK... Then I saw the Gesshin Ginga [white#2], and realise I am getting in over my wallet... I do love those wa handles though...

    I have also seen this knife - and I must say I rather like the look of the kiritsuke (?) style tip on it, though I have no idea what purpose it serves, plus it runs to $160 delivered... Please excuse my extreme swinging about, but I'm having fun browsing.

    http://www.korin-france.fr/suisin-hi...ujihiki-4.html

    Hopefully I won't get drunk and wake up realising I just ordered an FKV Yanagiba !




    Quote Originally Posted by mhlee View Post
    But, I don't really understand why you wouldn't want to try a good suji right off the bat. At least you'll have a point of comparison and you don't have to buy it immediately. You'll spend more money out of pocket if you buy a cheap one and don't like it and are forced to sell it. (No money spent to try one.) If you're worried about handling it, just ask the owner (who was gracious enough to offer) to put an edge on it and don't sharpen it yourself. Use soft sponges (no scrubbing pads to clean it) and baby it. But, use it once and you'll probably know if you're a suji kind of person.
    Well - that's the issue, Michael, you see. If I really like it then suddenly my budget shoots up and the FKM will seem cheap if I get it. I am sadly not in a position where I can just spend $300 on a new knife..... though saying that, I can see me talking myself into it and then realising I can't buy anything to slice with it.... [That Gesshin Ginga looks oh so tempting.] The reality is that I need to thin about it all very carefully to even justify getting an FKM.

    I am not really worried about damaging Tom's knife.

    Having never experienced the loaner knife thing, I am not used to it yet.

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Cardiff, UK
    Posts
    801
    It was a genuine offer so let me know. Unless you try and hammer it through some bones and take a notch out of the blade there's not much you can really do to damage it. The extra cost for the Hattori is mostly the branding and the pattern welded cladding, in my opinion anyway (in other word not a huge step up from lower end knives I've tried). If I was offering a custom knife I'd be more cautious but yeah use it, put it on the stones if you want, see if it works for you.
    I could probably post a 240 carbon gyuto with it if you fancy seeing what carbon is like maintenance and reactivity wise.

    Cheers,
    Tom

  9. #29
    Senior Member Benuser's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Amstelveen, The Netherlands
    Posts
    2,053
    +1
    The guy - I mean the OP - should try a real carbon.

  10. #30
    Canada's Sharpest Lefty Lefty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    5,103
    I have a feeling Eco-wood is just pakkawood, or plywood (scraps glued together). Just sayin'.
    09/06

    Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

    Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts