Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Scimitars: Practical or just for show?

Scimitars: Practical or just for show?

Are scimitars actually better in some way than a slicing knife or sujihiki for portioning meats or are they really just for show? Are scimitars actually used for anything other than portioning meats and what is the proper motion for using one?

I used one a while back and loved it both for meat and fish, want to get mike Davis to make me one once I save up some money

There's a reason why they've been the gold standard in butchery for over a millennia.

For a home cook they are a little superfluous.

I have big blue handled forschner one i have used for years on fish, and Salty's scimitar is still my favorite knife ever.

I'm asking because I'm a professional cook and and cut a lot of steaks and do some other simple meat fabrication. I usually use a slicer or a chefs knife depending on what type of fabrication I'm doing. I cut beautiful filets with a slicer but if a scimitar would work better I'd be interested in getting one.

They are capable of making board contact from a much broader range of angles than a slicing knife. When butchering very thick pieces of meat or separating primals on a carcass this is very helpful. Also when making long draw (pull) cuts through dense proteins the ability to use the knife in a reverse grip increases leverage significantly. This turns what would be two or three cuts with a slicer into one continuous cut which reduces the chances of damaging valuable proteins during fabrication.

I don't think you would notice any appreciable advantage on fillets but if you get into larger butchery tasks you might want one around.

Plus they look cool.

Depends what you're cutting. I use one for larger cuts of beef. (Ribeye, top sirloin butts, etc) I use a boner on beef tenderloins and anything smaller. The curved tip has many benefits.

I'm sure you knew it was coming.

The curved tip has many benefits.
    That's what she said.

pretty much what Salty and the clown said.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

Wasn't "Salty and the Clown" a buddy cop show in the '80s?