Updated Web Site

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DWSmith

Still Plays With Blocks
Reaction score
I have finally found a person to construct the newer version of my web site. We met for the first time this week and laid out the outline for the site. The old site is 7 years old and looks dark to me. Her new ideas may lend a fresh touch to my offerings and hopefully it will be easier to navigate and order from.

If anyone has any suggestions about what I can add or delete from the site or what might be of interest, I would appreciate the suggestions.

Some things I want to add are an improved FAQ section, a links section with logos, improved returns policy, a better contact page and featured items for the month. As I go along I hope I can add a page with a special or two and maybe a featured customers order.

An interesting factoid; I now have shipped to 30 foreign countries, not including Canada.

Grats, look forward to seeing it, side note tho: your ebay link on your site doesn't work

It would be great to see more HQ pictures of the boards being sold too!

First off, congrats Dave on your booming business!

I have one idea for your website. I know it is quite hard to get accurate wood colors in photographs. You may consider one comparison photo that is taken with the idea of showing a closeup of the different woods side by side. Having all the woods in one photo guarantees the lighting and color balance will be the same. I picture a photo with the corners of four boards of your four main woods (maple, cherry, walnut, mahogany) butting up and meeting in the middle and labeled--4 quadrants, 4 woods. You have all the woods in the "family photo" on the site now, but having a closeup with labels for the express purpose of comparing the 4 woods would be a great tool for people ordering over the internet.

Otherwise I think the site is quite good! Simple and clear, paypal works for most people, and the FAQ section is excellent. Good luck with the redesign!

Keegan

David,
Looks like you and I are in tune, I just did the same thing.
Del

David,

I like the new web site especially where you discuss the Janka hardness scale. I do miss seeing pictures of the shop with all the boards lined up. Also on the left side below the home button where you have pictures of the different woods you use I kept clicking the pictures thinking they were a link that would take me to a page where I would get the pricing for that wood. I did figure out I just needed to scroll down, so I'm not totally brain dead; yet!

The new site is finally coming together. The only thing stopping the new site now is updated photos and as I complete new boards the photos will be taken. But with the crush of orders I have now in the shop, 95 and counting, even the time to take photos is highly limited.

One thing I am planning for is a links page. I would like to have all the links in one spot which will make it easier for the viewer to find and then go to if desired.

Once it is live I will give a notice and then I will appreciate any comments and suggestions.

Awesome, looking forward to it, I've been salivating at the thought of one of your boards for a while now...

UPDATE!

I just saw the redesign today and I like it. She gave it a fresh touch and some bright colors. There are some changes to make and more photos to add but everything is coming together. Once it is live I will notify the forum.

Having just designed a site also, I know how difficult and nerve racking it can be. But when it starts to come together and meets your vision it's a wonderful thing. Good luck.

The site looks great, however I think you have the info/pricing for walnut under the picture of the cherry, and the cherry under the picture of the walnut...might want to switch that...Someone who doesn't know wood real well might order up a cherry board and expect it look like walnut.

Dave, just a thought - make your pop-ups larger. Right now (on my Mac) they're only about 20% larger than the catalog picture. If you make them 50% or more they will have greater impact (IMHO).

Back