Ice cream maker

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rahimlee54

Founding Member
Reaction score
I have been doing a little reading regarding counter top ice cream makers with compressors and as usual would like to be steered in a good direction. So anyone have suggestions for a good ice cream maker, that will hopefully last the rest of my life? I'd like to keep the $ around 300 or less.

Thanks
Jared

I dropped $900 + on a commercial tabletop icecream maker about 8 years ago. It's still in service. I can check the model but it must be $1200 plus by now.

I read an article from NY Times earlier that recommend a few but the only one still around is the Cuisinart and it is right at $300. Should I look at putting in more cash? I have looked at the Lello as well.

I use a pacojet. But that's about $4000. So....

I got one of those bowls from kitchen aid that you freeze for ice cream for the home use and I have a Delonghi for Gelato with its own compressor... have not used it long so I cant say how sturdy or strong they are.... One thing I can tell you is that once I started making gelato.... I became hooked!! :wink:

Gelato and sorbeto are awesome!! I got a book and did a lot of recipes then started to make my own thing and started combining flavors and ingredients... delicious stuff! :happy1:

I read an article from NY Times earlier that recommend a few but the only one still around is the Cuisinart and it is right at $300. Should I look at putting in more cash? I have looked at the Lello as well.

I don't know if it's a deciding factor or not, but having owned both I can tell you that the operation of the Cuisinart is very very noisy. Both machines are quite reliable, the Nello will take up less counter space though.

I hear this is great Whynter Ice Cream Maker
I own this and use it all the time its awesome Cuisinart

I have the cheaper bowl freeze cuisinart model and some forms of custard just wont freeze up, even after the bowl has been in the deep freezer for months. which is why I wanted to go with the compressor. Does this model do something different?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no problem with the unit being cold enough. I leave it in the freezer on the coldest setting overnight and make sure my mixture is as cold as possible. it is noisy but freezes very well.

It is tedious , but drilling holes then playing connect the dots works for some.

That'll make for some funny tasting ice cream!
:justkidding: Saw the same post in the sheet cutting thread!

I have occasion to use the two Cuisinart models described here weekly. My experience with the compressor model is that its very noisy (mentioned above) to the point of precluding conversation, and that it will occasionally not set up if base is not cold. It retails right at 300. The xxx-C model requires a prechilled insert but it lives in the freezer between uses. I use a an ice bath and thermapen to ensure base gets to 40F before pouring in and it works fine every time. Noise is not an issue. It retails at 80.

I have a krups at home that I hate but it works... If/When it finally dies I'll replace it with the xxx-C.

Regards,

Dave

I have an old Simac IL Gelataio machine I picket up on eBay that works great. They go for $100-$300 on eBay. They are old machines, but apparantly last real well. You can also still buy parts for them. It is a bigger unit and the bowl does not come out are the negatives. But the big, big plus is it gets real cold fast and stays cold. You don't have to worry about pre-chilling the ingredients, 5 minutes to chill the bowl, 15 minutes to make 2 quarts.

I keep mine in the the utility room with the washer, so noise and counter space is not an issue.

I am having the KenwoodIM250's removable non-stick freezer bowl needs to chill for 24 hours before use, so save it a spot in the freezer if you're a spontaneous ice cream chef. Quick and easy to use, this compact machine makes one litre of ready-to-eat soft serve in half an hour that is very good

Back