What difference will I notice between natural and synthetics?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TB_London

Reaction score
Hi Maxim,

Been wondering about this for a while. What difference will I notice between natural and synthetic stones of the same grit range in a practical rather than aesthetic basis?

I've tried a lot of synthetic stones and a few naturals- some European and some American but no Japanese. Of these my favourites have been Choseras and a random 6k I picked up in Japan.
This is due to feel, speed and quality of edge. I'm happy to sacrifice some speed though.

Will naturals give me a better edge, e.g easier burr removal, better refinement, longer lasting etc
Or is the main benefit in being able to work the mud and refine the grit thereby being able to renew and refine an edge on one stone?

I'd be interested in learning some more about actual results though fully appreciate every stone is slightly different.

Cheers,
Tom

The main difference i appreciate most in Jants is they variety in one stone, it can go from super fast with Nagura to to work the mud and refine the grit.
And of coars that Hazy semi mirror finish is very hard to beat with Synthetics.
But there are sooo many different ones in feedback so it is hard to comment on Jntas feedback VS synthetics
Grit is also very hard to know, it may look at same grit range in scratch patterns but scratches on Jnats is more shallow so its hard to know what grit it is hehe , better to say what finish it leaves or what edge it gives

Edge i feel like is more toothier but still very fine on Jnats so maybe thats why it hold bit longer, but it will not be my selling point

I think many more can chime in here and say why they like Jntas over the Synthetics :D

Cheers, I've got a voucher for your store and nearly bought one of the Binsui's you listed but then thought I should ask a few questions to work out if it'd be a stone I'd benefit from using as opposed to my usual chosera 1k 5k strop routine. If I could just go natural and strop, or just natural to use that'd be interesting.

In terms of first intro to naturals do you have any recommendations for something that shows the versatility (without breaking the bank)?

I think That Red or Green Aoto will be best to start with, they future more Jnat feeling and in between finisher and medium stone. Very easy to use for begginer and makes very cool finish.
Binsui is more for who want to go all Natural and do not want to use synthetics at all. I personally think that 1k chosera will be more useful to you then Binsui

So go for Red or Green Aoto or any lv 2 or 2,5 finishing stone :D

Maxim, How would you describe and recommend a binsui.

I have now 2 different ones, ones that is very good for knives the big one and biggest, and other that is harder that also work very good for tools and razors.
The ones for Knives make better finish, speed about the same as the other one. So its for people that want to finish with 1k atone and make good finish at same time :)
Ikarashi is another stone that i will recommend as 1k that one i like a loot bit faster then Any Binsui but have also super feedback, almost like in synthetic

Back