Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Custom Maker - Overview

The review forum should have most of this?

Quote Originally Posted by Salty dog View Post
    Surprising, I've never known a Mario guilty of stiction.
    That knife was kind of an "How thin can I take it" experiment.It is much thinner then my normal grind.It's funny that he likes a sturdy knife like me and ends up with the thinnest knife I have ground,or not funny.

Quote Originally Posted by ThEoRy View Post
    Take a look in the individual vendor forums. There is already a wealth of comments and reviews from numerous customers and pass arounds. In fact, start in the pass around threads where you can find multiple reviews, pictures and videos in each thread.
    Thank you all for your feedback so far. ThEoRy - agreed - and that is what I have been doing for months. What I am driving at is there is a TON of useful information from real world use spread out hither and tither on this site, and I was hoping to give newbies (including myself) as well as the more experienced users a thread to find relevant information, in one place.

Also, I think it is very helpful to hear comparisons between other custom makers, rather than a flat review of an individual's work. So far, I have learned alot from all prior posts - and very much appreciate the insight from all of the more experienced members.

And thanks for the link don!

I will say that my first and most favored custom is the Damascus 210 gyuto from Del Ealy. It's tall, thin, well rounded everywhere it should be, sharp as hell, and easy to keep that way. Sticktion is non existent, even with dicing, julienne, and batonnet when the cuts like to stack and walk up the side of the knife.
    Del was extremely easy to work with, and great at listening/communicating. His knife even came with a wooden case/box (like a jewelry box-hinged and latched) which completely took me by surprise.

My Mario I recently got, a 260, is also a beautiful knife. very sharp,fine edge. I haven't taken it to the stones yet, so no opinion as to how well it takes. The profile is great, but does have some slight sticktion to it, where the cuts want to stick to the opposing side which cause them to walk up and over top to the other side (from right to left). But a little finger flick from time to time helps out without slowing you down. Absolutely stunning performer so far , from tip to heel. Also doesn't hurt that, like the Del, its eye candy factor makes it a joy just to pull it out of its case.

Of all my "customs", these 2 really take the top of the cake.

Mario

So I am new to the site and while I think I have been to every custom knife makers website I have not found Mario's? I have read on his page where he has mentioned he is behind, but I was looking for a place where I could get pricing etc.

RRLOVER do you have a website I can't find?

Thanks!

Just PM him for an order. I recently got in line after the very same question.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill13 View Post
    So I am new to the site and while I think I have been to every custom knife makers website I have not found Mario's? I have read on his page where he has mentioned he is behind, but I was looking for a place where I could get pricing etc.

RRLOVER do you have a website I can't find?

Thanks!
    Just shoot me a PM......I do not have a website yet,but I am working on it.

PJ Tomes

One custom maker that does an incredible job, a mastersmith and bit of a curmudgeon, is PJ Tomes.

He forges primarily 52100, his taper is virtually perfect, and the heat treat is spot-on. I can get this knife as sharp or sharper than any knife in the stable. It holds an edge remarkably.

This knife was made by request to match a smaller knife received from him (both of 52100), and it just might be my favorite go to. Besides, you usually don't see a slab of walrus ivory such as this...

And here is the smaller knife it was made to match...

AND a great guy to work with!

-Michael

There are alot of handmade knife makers, and fewer "custom" makers. A custom maker, in my definition is someone who can take your specs to the "t" and create your knife, or at least work with you on accommodating most of your wants. Many makers have set profiles and grinds, then like a track home, you can make some modifications to certain aspects for example handle material and length. Some knife makers may not have the tools for full on custom work, some don't yet have the skill, and some just won't for reasons of their own. However, unless you know exactly what you want, stick with the knife makers recommendations. IMO Michael Rader is probably the best at full on custom work...I still marvel at his ability to forge a blade for a vintage leather splitter for Colin and then turn around and make any profile gyuto you ask.

Based only on the knives I have used, Devin Thomas (easily my favorite gyutos, I have yet to be disappointed in any of his steels), Pierre Rodrigue (anything from cleavers to paring knives),Mario Ingoglia (wicked convexity on his gyutos, best mirror polish), David Broadwell (best aesthetics, best laser, most comfortable handle), Michael Rader (anything under the sun), Ryan Weeks (awesome skinners and a pretty dang good suji), ******* (great suji)

On a side note, Jon Broida works with many craftsmen in Japan and can sometimes get custom work done.

while i always agree with chefget, i love my butch harner custom. he made it per a design we agreed on, and it is the sharpest fastest chef's knife i own. it was based on his custom tuna sword.