Quantcast
Custom Maker - Overview - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Custom Maker - Overview

Welcome Shmoocat! Guessing you work with Chefget?
    one man gathers what another man spills...

Any thoughts on which makers currently make the best san mai gyutos? Something about stainless damascus clad on carbon core really does it for me visually. I assume all san mai blades make a sacrifice of thickness? I also assume grind plays a much larger role in san mai blades than with a straight steel? Very helpful feedback on all of the makers listed above - keep them coming!

Quote Originally Posted by skiajl6297 View Post
    Any thoughts on which makers currently make the best san mai gyutos? Something about stainless damascus clad on carbon core really does it for me visually.
    Devin Thomas made one not too long ago, stainless herringbone damascus over a 52100 core, sold through The Epicurean Edge:
    http://www.epicedge.com/shopexd.asp?id=89771

IIRC, David Broadwell made a Western handled gyuto of stainless damascus over a carbon core. His subforum has been archived, so I can't check to make sure.

Mike Davis made a wa-gyuto from some HHH Knives carbon damascus over an O1 core:
    http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...-san-mai-gyuto

I'm sure that Pierre Rodrigue, Will Catcheside, Del Ealy or Randy Haas would be more than willing to make one, and Mario Ingoglia or Marko Tsourkan have used Devin Thomas damascus in their knives.

I assume all san mai blades make a sacrifice of thickness?
    Your assumption would be in error. I have several san mai knives that are as thin, or thinner than some of my monosteel knives. Murray Carter's knives immediately come to mind.

I also assume grind plays a much larger role in san mai blades than with a straight steel?
    I'm curious as to why would you make this assumption? Is it based on the false assumption that san mai knives are thicker?

Rick

My assumption on san mai knives being thicker is based on my own inexperience and assumption that the sandwiching process of two different materials somehow automatically added girth - and I am glad to know I am wrong.

I made the assumption about grind due to the thickness assumption - and figured that if san mai knife blades were consistently thicker than their monosteel counterparts, the grind would provide better cutting performance on a thicker blade, and non-stiction which would make up for the thickness. In other words, I assumed that getting a really convex grind on a super thin knife would be harder due to lack of material, whereas this heavy convexing would be much more easily accomplished on a thicker knife, leading to strong cutting performance, regardless of ultimate thickness.

I love the look of this style, and am leaning more towards really thin knives, so I was making several incorrect assumptions that would have eliminated this style from consideration - and so I greatly appreciate your insight. The two knives above are just drop dead sexy - and I am convinced that my ultimate gyuto needs to be a really thin damascus clad san mai.

If I was looking for a San Mai Damascus I would start and end with Devin, I don't have any personal experience with him but from the reviews I've read and the knives I've seen he's the top in my book. When your talking Damascus though it is hard to leave Randy Haas out of the conversation, he makes some stunning patterns.