Bad Stone

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxim

Founding Member
Reaction score
Ok sometimes i get some bad stones but very very Rare and i get A LOT of stones every week !, this time for the first time ever, i got bad expensive Maruichi Maruka Asagi :(

It will be very good example to show how confusing to know what stone is bad and what is not.
Only real test is to try the stone !!! Even if it have some very famous stamps on it :D

Some will think when looking at first picture that i am talking about the dark big line there .
But in fact not at all the dark big line is not toxic at all and can not be field at all

P1010120.jpg

The problem is the smaller lines in the stone they was in fact toxic and scratch both razors knife and tools i try on it, Both small lines in red circle go all the way through the stone so there is not much to do

P1010124.jpg

Now dont think that it is only small lines that can be toxic it could have been other way around, the only thing to do is test the stone and know what to look for and how to test if lines that is toxic or not.

So this Maruichi will go for Very good Tomo Naguras :D

Just out of curiosity how do you test for toxicity on the lines? I have read a few times about them, just no one is explaining the process.

Also why didn't the mine check for this? If they do was this just one that got through?

I dont think that mine test stones for that but wholesalers do, then the sellers. If it chip or scratch your steel then it toxic thats how you check, very simple :D
But sometimes lines is harder then stone it self then you should smoothen the line with some nagura or other stone and if you can not feel it after that then it is not toxic

How many naguras will you get out of that rock?

about 6 i think, i will try to avoid the lines that is toxic, so not as many as i want :(

wouldn't be possible to dig and remove the toxic line instead to transforming it in naguras?

Noone will gave so much money for Maruka with Toxic lines. So i cutting it to naguras i have more chance to get some of my money back :)

Back