Quantcast
What boner? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What boner?

Can anyone tell me anything about Ashi Hamono? I have found a wa hankotsu I like the look of. Are these guys the manufacturer of JKI gesshin ginga line?

Quote Originally Posted by Salty dog View Post
    does someone make a Wa handled boner?
    There's a few out there. Both honesuki and hankotsu I've seen.

Jon Has a Wa hankotsu up now seen here.
    http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/...hankostu.html#

and a wa honesuke here. http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/...honesuki.html#

Both clock in right under the $200 mark. Looks like they are not true single bevel, maybe 90/10 or whatever. Anybody have one or can confirm?
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Quote Originally Posted by jeff1 View Post
    Can anyone tell me anything about Ashi Hamono? I have found a wa hankotsu I like the look of. Are these guys the manufacturer of JKI gesshin ginga line?
    If I may, I believe they do indeed make the Gesshin Ginga knives for JKI. However, there may be some specific things Jon requests to make them Gesshin. Weather that may be the grind, heat treatment, fit and finish etc I don't know. That will have to be a conversation for you and Jon I suppose. I can tell you this, if he puts his name on it I can assure you of the quality.

Here's a vid from Jon about Gesshin Ginga. He even describes some of the changes.

I waiting on a yoshikane wa hankotsu from afames with the burnt chestnut handle. It just over 200 and he will have a few in in about 2 weeks

Yeah I also like the yoshikane but the ashi is about $70 cheaper so I'm wondering if it's worth the extra for the yoshi

Quote Originally Posted by DeepCSweede View Post
    Jon of JKI has a Zakuri and Gesshin Ginga in WA both under $200 although Zakuri is listed as out of stock. I am kind of interested in that Zakuri but Marko's honesuki is calling.
    I'm waitin for Marko's honesuki. He's taking his time and analyzing all these other makers. I'd rather bide my time and get the best.
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

Something tells me Markos will fall slightly outside my price range

Quote Originally Posted by ThEoRy View Post
    If I may, I believe they do indeed make the Gesshin Ginga knives for JKI. However, there may be some specific things Jon requests to make them Gesshin. Weather that may be the grind, heat treatment, fit and finish etc I don't know. That will have to be a conversation for you and Jon I suppose. I can tell you this, if he puts his name on it I can assure you of the quality.
    yes... a number of those things are done to our line. Also, with the honesuki and hankotsu, they are highly asymmetric, but not "single bevel" in the sense i normally think of.

Yeah, no hollow back. Are there any hollow back hankotsu? I haven't seen one.