Thread: Sources for unhandled knives

Sources for unhandled knives

Any web links fo unhandled Japanese knives besides Chefs Knives To Go? Just looking for what's out there.

TIA

Direct from manufacturer? There are quite a few makers who are easy to deal with.

I think epicedge could be able to get you some of their knives unhanded. Just drop them an email.

in US: Jantz has some
    in EU: Dictum
    …some Japanese makers can send you knives without handles (when I asked Watanabe if he could send me knife without handle, price difference was only 10$).

It is probably worth mentioning that knives that come with basic ho-wood handle (Like some Itinomonn and Shigefusa knives form Maksim) would not be much cheaper without the handle as the ho-wood handle by itself costs 20€ or less. Unless of course you are looking for cheaper blades.

consider this from the craftsman's perspective too... there are some who are used to dealing with foreigners and so its not as much of a big deal (i.e. watanabe), but for most others (and i mean craftsmen, not retailers or wholesalers), they feel its like selling a car without wheels... its an unfinished product, and most feel very uncomfortable doing this. This is based on my conversations with a number of craftsmen across japan.

Also if you are putting a custom wa handle on say a gyuto, you can easy knock the old handle off in one piece. If it is Ho with real horn bolster it can be remounted on a less expensive carbon blade that has the cheap plastic collar. That way nothing is wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by keithsaltydog View Post
    Also if you are putting a custom wa handle on say a gyuto, you can easy knock the old handle off in one piece. If it is Ho with real horn bolster it can be remounted on a less expensive carbon blade that has the cheap plastic collar. That way nothing is wasted.
    Yes, that is my intention - to make a custom wa handle for a gyuto. Not to insult the knifemaker, but to make a custom handle that matches a cutting board and knife block. If the usually supplied handles can be easily knocked off, that would open up a range of possibilities. I hadn't thought about that, thanks.

I'd be looking at the $100 - $150 range if it matters.