What boner?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeff1

Reaction score
Im thinking about getting a boning knife. Just wondering what people here use. It will mostly be for chicken, lamb and pork not so much fish.

Thanks

Probably not what you are looking for, but I use a curved tip Forschner that works great.

considering that your going to be using it for protiens maybe check out a honesuki. i have a cheap henkels boning knife im happy with.

I use a vintage sabatier petty or boner usually or a cheap farberware petty. I will be in the market for a honesuki at some point though cough cough Marko cough cough

Last time I boned a lamb leg I used my Hiromoto AS petty seemed to work well enough just thought there might be something out there to do it better

Either a honesuki or Tojiro Gokujo. A third option would be a hankotsu, but let's take a closer look at the first two. How much you got?

If I can keep it under 200 would be nice

Just waiting for Rick to suggest a honesuki.

Consider a Tojiro from you know where.

The curved tip has advantages.

Looking for wa handle probably should have said that. Anyone got experience with the moritaka?

I have a Moritaka honesuki(blue #2) and I really like it.Very robust little knife,perfect for meat fabrication.Haven't noticed any of the "issues' associated with the Moritaka brand.I also have a Kasumi boner(wa,Tojiro like) that I like very much and as Salty mentioned,the curved tip does have it's advantages.A bit spendy,but I didn't pay full price for it so...

I've got a 50/50 carter deba that I want to get rid of.

I'm thinking the Tojiro Gokujo here. It's only like $90 maybe. Solid performer.

+1 on tojiro gokujo boner. more all purpose. cutleryandmore has them. =D

i have a wenger stiff boning knife and i'm thinking of upgrading to this eventually for the same purpose, i do have a newly purchased misono hankotsu but doesn't really work well with chicken. =D

i do plan on getting a honesuki eventually, a lefty one.

+1 on the Tojiro.
I have one and a Moritaka honesuki and the Tojiro is much more versatile. Also the Moritaka was kinda thick when I got it, so not that great for trimming silver skin and what not.

I bone out a lot of chicken and I know this might be weird but I've been using a 7" flexible fillet knife resently with pretty good results. Korin has (or had) a carbon Suisin honesuki for I think $90 that I am still seriously considering, though it is western handle.

Jon of JKI has a Zakuri and Gesshin Ginga in WA both under $200 although Zakuri is listed as out of stock. I am kind of interested in that Zakuri but Marko's honesuki is calling.

Can anyone tell me anything about Ashi Hamono? I have found a wa hankotsu I like the look of. Are these guys the manufacturer of JKI gesshin ginga line?

does someone make a Wa handled boner?

There's a few out there. Both honesuki and hankotsu I've seen.

Jon Has a Wa hankotsu up now seen here.
http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com...gesshin-ginga-150mm-white-2-wa-hankostu.html#

and a wa honesuke here. http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com...sshin-ginga-150mm-stainless-wa-honesuki.html#

Both clock in right under the $200 mark. Looks like they are not true single bevel, maybe 90/10 or whatever. Anybody have one or can confirm?

Can anyone tell me anything about Ashi Hamono? I have found a wa hankotsu I like the look of. Are these guys the manufacturer of JKI gesshin ginga line?

If I may, I believe they do indeed make the Gesshin Ginga knives for JKI. However, there may be some specific things Jon requests to make them Gesshin. Weather that may be the grind, heat treatment, fit and finish etc I don't know. That will have to be a conversation for you and Jon I suppose. I can tell you this, if he puts his name on it I can assure you of the quality.

Here's a vid from Jon about Gesshin Ginga. He even describes some of the changes.

[video=youtube_share;2X1RWfnWCeY]http://youtu.be/2X1RWfnWCeY[/video]

I waiting on a yoshikane wa hankotsu from afames with the burnt chestnut handle. It just over 200 and he will have a few in in about 2 weeks

Yeah I also like the yoshikane but the ashi is about $70 cheaper so I'm wondering if it's worth the extra for the yoshi

Jon of JKI has a Zakuri and Gesshin Ginga in WA both under $200 although Zakuri is listed as out of stock. I am kind of interested in that Zakuri but Marko's honesuki is calling.

I'm waitin for Marko's honesuki. He's taking his time and analyzing all these other makers. I'd rather bide my time and get the best.

Something tells me Markos will fall slightly outside my price range

If I may, I believe they do indeed make the Gesshin Ginga knives for JKI. However, there may be some specific things Jon requests to make them Gesshin. Weather that may be the grind, heat treatment, fit and finish etc I don't know. That will have to be a conversation for you and Jon I suppose. I can tell you this, if he puts his name on it I can assure you of the quality.

yes... a number of those things are done to our line. Also, with the honesuki and hankotsu, they are highly asymmetric, but not "single bevel" in the sense i normally think of.

Yeah, no hollow back. Are there any hollow back hankotsu? I haven't seen one.

Back