Quantcast
question about fish handling post cut - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: question about fish handling post cut

i live hundreds of miles from the ocean, but what my local large specialty market has is pretty good for my uses. certainly better than regular grocery store fair i've found in the area. i've never purchased any of their live fish, perhaps i should. anyway, i was shocked that they were out of the tuna i usually buy, and i was in a hurry, so i just bought a filet. oh, recipe wise i don't do anything special. i marinate whatever vegetables i want to use (last night was red cabbage, green onion, serrano peppers, shallot, garlic, cilantro and tomatoes) in lime juice with some salt and pepper until the flavors meld, then add the fish and serve when it looks ready.

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    it isn't extinct as a species, but it's gone as a viable wild catch. i'll try trout, next time. i usually use tuna because i can get decent tuna very locally, but they were out.
    I've read of a number of sustainable sushi bars serving Arctic Char coming from closed water circulation systems. They're supposed to be clean and good for the environment and safe for sushi. I have had it a few times - it's not quite as rich and fatty as salmon, but it's a smaller fish. I've seen them around 2 - 3 pounds and around 6 to 8 dollars a pound. You could buy a whole one and give it a shot.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Quote Originally Posted by mhlee View Post
    I've read of a number of sustainable sushi bars serving Arctic Char coming from closed water circulation systems. They're supposed to be clean and good for the environment and safe for sushi. I have had it a few times - it's not quite as rich and fatty as salmon, but it's a smaller fish. I've seen them around 2 - 3 pounds and around 6 to 8 dollars a pound. You could buy a whole one and give it a shot.
    that sounds like a pretty good idea. i'd be willing to try a whole fish again. thanks!

Time to break out that deba, no? haha

Quote Originally Posted by MadMel View Post
    Time to break out that deba, no? haha
    it very well may be.

When I am in the mood for salmon, it is easier/cheaper for me to get wild Steelhead Trout than a good wild salmon. Very similar in taste, color, texture etc. And smaller than salmon so if you could buy a whole one and still have it manageable at home.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyChance View Post
    When I am in the mood for salmon, it is easier/cheaper for me to get wild Steelhead Trout than a good wild salmon. Very similar in taste, color, texture etc. And smaller than salmon so if you could buy a whole one and still have it manageable at home.
    Hmm wondering if Steelhead Trout is the same species as Ocean Trout. Imma look that up.

It is rainbow trout that has lived in the ocean for a few years I believe.

Ok wiki has it that they are the same thing lol. Just different names for different countries. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow_trout

What mhlee said makes a lot of sense. I’ve experienced that falling apart at the seams issue a few times with fillets that have been sitting in the display, but not with whole fish that are cut in front of me or ones that I’ve done myself. The texture of fish seems to degrade more rapidly when roughly handled and after it has been fillet and de-boned. With sushi, I try to get / keep the fish intact until I’m ready to slice it.

I think a rainbow, steelhead and ocean trout are the same…a rainbow has never left freshwater, an ocean is rainbow that has migrated to saltwater, and a steelhead is an ocean that has migrated back to freshwater to spawn.