Define Normal

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lefty

Canada's Sharpest Lefty
Reaction score
This morning, I was making a quick breakfast and I was standing by the toaster, waiting for my bagel to pop. I grabbed the butter took some onto my Harner petty knife and started to butter my bagel, which was just cut with the same knife. At this point I realized this surely isn't normal, or even close to normal, is it? Then I thought back on my past few days, while at home, and distinctly remembered doing the following things:

Opened up a box with a handmade knife by Mike Davis.

Measured the size of a cake we were ordering with a 210 Misono gyuto as a reference.

Cut gauze with 3 different pocket knives, a 150 Marr petty, and something that resembles two knives with funny handles, hinged in the centre with a single rivet.

During a casual conversation with my wife, I caught myself leaning on the counter, checking out the grinds on various knives. And she didn't even think anything of it!

Squeezed in two sharpening sessions with only one good hand.

Caught myself thinking, "it's a good thing my SAK work knife was in my bunker pants pocket at the fire, because if I had it clipped to my coat, the scales would have melted and I bet the temper would be all screwed up".

Decided I definitely need a Spyderco Tasman so I have two knives on me at work.

And I'm sure the list goes on and on, but my hand is tired from entering this post on my phone, with only one hand.

Do you find yourself looking at a coffee table and wondering what a handle made from that wood would look like?

No, I am considering whether I really need the table or not, because I could get a bunch of handle wood from it.

Do you find yourself looking at a coffee table and wondering what a handle made from that wood would look like?
Whenever I see a yard sale or second hand store I look for old burl coffee tables.
I have ended up cutting quite a few.

BTW: we don't use the "N" word around here.

Four more popped into my head. I remember once writing a post that was similar, but more about how I was coming across as a crazy person, because of this, and I did have one of those moments this week. Plus...

I told my wife I was going to sharpen the rug because of how much our dog had shed in a day(vacuum is what I meant to say).

While talking to my mom on the phone, she asked how Butch was doing.

I caught my wife telling her best friend about her custom Rodrigue parer that was almost done.

Best of all...

My wife told me to get off my phone and tell Pierre that I'm already married, so he'd finally realize we were never going to end up with eachother. Haha

Whenever I see a yard sale or second hand store I look for old burl coffee tables.

Just for clarification do you mean *ormal or *eed? Both seem kind of out of place to me.

AM I the only one who keeps an "Emergency Knife Kit" in my car for when I cook at people's houses who don't have good knives?

One of the definitions of the word normal states: "of, relating to, or characterized by average intelligence"

Yeah, you can count me out on that one... Thank God I'm not one of those "normies". That's what I call them, "normies"...

Eh, normal is overrated. I justified a recent purchase of a big clunky Viking cutlery chefs knife because I realized I gave away all of my old Germans and didn't have a knife to punch holes in cans with. Definately not normal.

I've used the word sharpen instead of the proper word on any number of occasions. We aren't normal :)

In economics they draw the distinction between normal goods and inferior goods, so think about it that way. Is what you are doing 'inferior'? Of course not, so by elimination it must be normal.

k.

Lefty, you need to do a passaround with some of those pain meds they've got you on!
You are not "normal", but it's got nothing to do with nyves, I mean kniffs, I mean knivez.
If any of us were sane, we wouldn't be KKF members.

Hahaha. The funny thing is, I haven't taken a single one! They prescribed me some, but my body is a temple, man! Haha

K-Fed, I have a 10" Viking Chef from years back that actually is a pretty great knife. I might bust it out soon.

One more thing. My autocorrect on my phone has funy, gyuto, pettysuki, yanagi-ba, Tanaka and sujihiki to name a few. Anyone else?

normal is overrated.

what is normal anyway?

conformity. blah.

=D

coming from Coos Bay ,My parents house is full of Myrtlewood or old growth redwood burlwood tables and clocks and all I want to do is cut them up. He has a coffee table 24" x 48" x 2" made of a single piece of old flame maple that would make a badass cutting board.

AM I the only one who keeps an "Emergency Knife Kit" in my car for when I cook at people's houses who don't have good knives?

I used to when I had a truck, now I have 4 or 5 strategically placed full knife kits all over the country. lol

In economics they draw the distinction between normal goods and inferior goods, so think about it that way. Is what you are doing 'inferior'? Of course not, so by elimination it must be normal.

k.

or luxury goods

Four more popped into my head. I remember once writing a post that was similar, but more about how I was coming across as a crazy person, because of this, and I did have one of those moments this week. Plus...

I told my wife I was going to sharpen the rug because of how much our dog had shed in a day(vacuum is what I meant to say).

While talking to my mom on the phone, she asked how Butch was doing.

I caught my wife telling her best friend about her custom Rodrigue parer that was almost done.

Best of all...

My wife told me to get off my phone and tell Pierre that I'm already married, so he'd finally realize we were never going to end up with eachother. Haha

ROTFLMAO!! To early to be reading that! Caught me totally off guard! Coffee EVERYWHERE!!! lol!

So my sous chef and I both pulled new pencils out of a box to do inventory. When I saw the difference in sharpening I couldn't let it go. Gave him crap all day. I have a problem. Five hours later starting talking about how since I gave my pencil a more refined edge it would be more prone to micro chipping and reduced edge retention. Both were new pencils with the same cheapo pencil sharpener. It's all about attention to detail. I think that is the point I was going for. Or I am nuts and kind of a dick.

photo.jpg

Makes sense to me, the pencil on the left needs to be thinned behind the point ! What grit eraser are you using? And I might be being finicky but you should ditch the yellow wood for some burl :)

coming from Coos Bay ,My parents house is full of Myrtlewood or old growth redwood burlwood tables and clocks and all I want to do is cut them up. He has a coffee table 24" x 48" x 2" made of a single piece of old flame maple that would make a badass cutting board.

... Or about 270 wa handles - that's how I look at wood pieces. :)

Stefan

Friggin lol. My wife finds it rather uneasy sitting watching a movie late at night with me holding a 270 suji beside her.

Just for clarification do you mean *ormal or *eed? Both seem kind of out of place to me.

If I only cut wood that we have here I would never run out of wood in this lifetime.
But......
I need to buy wood. Lots of really expensive stuff.
and.....before that arrives, I need to buy more and more.
Then you guys come along and tell me about other woods that you/I need.

Does that make me needy? maybe, but normal.....I don't think so.

Back