Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: In the market for some high end knives! Need your thoughts!

In the market for some high end knives! Need your thoughts!

I am new to this forum and this is my first time posting. I am interested in purchasing some new kitchen knives and I would love your opinions on some top names. I found the following set of questions in another thread so I will start with that.

What type of knife(s) do you think you want?
    I am looking for 3 or 4 primary knives to use. I am not interested in buying a set of say a dozen knives. I would like either a chef's or santoku knife (although I will surely end up owning one of each), a paring knife, and one or two other knives that I am still undecided about (cleaver, honesuki, slicing knife, etc.)

Why is it being purchased? What, if anything, are you replacing?
    I was given a few Chicago Cutlery knives before I left for college. I recently graduated, and my father gave me money to buy a gift that will be special to me and last a long time. I decided that a few high quality knives was the way to go.

What do you like and dislike about these qualities of your knives already?
    Aesthetics- They are very plain. Aesthetics for the new knives is very important to me since it is a gift from my dad.
    Edge Quality/Retention- I am a novice when it comes to edge maintenance. So a quality edge would be ideal, although I obviously plan to learn how to maintain these knives.
    Ease of Use- I don't mind if the knives are not the easiest to use right away, I plan on using them for a long time and practicing my knife skills with them.

What kind of cutting motion do you use? Typically a rocking motion with my current chef's knife.

Where do you store them? I have a cheap knife roll that I will use at least for a while.

Have you ever oiled a handle? Nope.

What kind of cutting board(s) do you use? Wooden Boos block.

For edge maintenance, do you use a strop, honing rod, pull through/other, or nothing? Honing rod

Have they ever been sharpened? No.

What is your budget? $700

What do you cook and how often? Primarily Asian cuisine (meat/vegetables for dishes done in the wok, soups, dim sum, etc.) I would say about 3-4 times a week.

Special requests(Country of origin/type of wood/etc)? Not set on anything yet, but Japanese knives have mostly caught my eye. When I first started searching, I thought that Shun was the way to go. And quickly found out that although they may be nice knives, they are overpriced for what they are. I also researched Global's, which were less costly but I wasn't as in love with the appearance of the knives as I was the Shun Premier or Shun Fuji.[/B]

Does anyone have any ideas for me?? Just to reiterate, I would like the knives to be very visually appealing since they are a commemorative gift, but not to the point where I felt like I couldn't use them regularly. Let me know your thoughts!

carbon steel? or stainless steel?

is the $700 for one knife or for all?

are you willing to buy knives directly from japan or would you rather buy local?

just to help clarify.
    =D

Ah yes, great questions.

Leaning towards carbon steel, although your opinions on that would be great as well. My understanding is that carbon is generally better, you just have to care for it more and make sure it doesn't rust.

The $700 is for all 3-4 knives. The chef or santoku knife will cost the most I'm assuming. The knives I was originally looking at were around $400, and that was just too much for me to spend on one knife starting out.

I would be willing to buy directly from Japan, as long as there was decent customer service if anything happened to it that wasn't my fault.
    Thanks!

couple of last questions, do you know how to sharpen? how do you sharpen?

are either of you left handed or right handed? both?

forgot to include this one.....

=D

if you wanna buy from the states, Jon Broida of japaneseknifeimports.com has great stuff and is a great guy with awesome customer service, Jon also has a sharpening service......

if you wanna buy directly from japan, Koki of japanesechefknife.com also has great stuff and has the cheapest shipping and also reasonably fast shipping, also willing to undervalue your purchases to keep taxes down to a minimum =D

for stones....Dave, the founder of this forum has a site that sells sharpening stones among other things, also has a sharpening service as well...... at japaneseknifesharpening.com

I would say I do not know how to sharpen...I have used a honing steel for edge maintenance. But again, this is something that I would like to learn!

Great! Thank you for the links. I will check them out.

oops didn't update my post fast enough.... please check my previous post. =D

i'll let the others do the recommendations....

also check out korin.com for knives and stones, based in new york, great store as well with great people.

Haha that's okay. One more thought, and this is pretty specific, but I have seen Asai knives being discussed on a few different threads. Anybody have thoughts on those?

Buy something cheap and learn how to sharpen with it

Quote Originally Posted by etbenton View Post
    Haha that's okay. One more thought, and this is pretty specific, but I have seen Asai knives being discussed on a few different threads. Anybody have thoughts on those?
    I haven't seen the Asai line discussed much, but here are a few positive reviews:

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...ll=1#post90948

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...l=1#post100593

Welcome to the forum, and good luck with whatever you decide!

Welcome!

Do you think you would like a wa handle? Also, a santoku and gyuto are somewhat redundant, I would recommend getting a nice gyuto to start with. Definitely recommend carbon--the care you need is the care you should give any good knife--and I believe it gives you more good options.

Cheers!
    once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right