Media Sharpening Gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThEoRy

Founding Member
Reaction score
I make shiny things get cutty cutty. Kind of a longer video for me but hey it's a talkie!!

[video=youtube_share;dW_sAqpVmug]http://youtu.be/dW_sAqpVmug[/video]

Thanks for making and sharing the video. Well worth the watch. I was waiting to see you rip through that tomato at the end though ;)

You don't discuss primary vs secondary bevel, is that because of the grind of the Tanaka R2? Don't have one, but the knife looks incredibly thin.

Good video...Rick what's up with the sound track? Man I expect more from you!

Good video...Rick what's up with the sound track? Man I expect more from you!

The music usually happens organically when I edit. The film is x:xx minutes long so I try to use songs of the same length. On longer videos I try to get two songs of about equal length to fill up the video. Song selection actually takes longer than you might think too. On this video within the time confines these two songs were the only ones that didn't sound like the Transformers were having sex with each other while they were simultaneously killing the Go-Bots during the zombie apocalypse.

within the time confines these two songs were the only ones that didn't sound like the Transformers were having sex with each other while they were simultaneously killing the Go-Bots during the zombie apocalypse.
That's the song we played for the 1st dance at our wedding!
Nothin' like some Go-Bot killin' music.

Great video, I think I will try your technique I often find I don't switch sides as often as you do, I usually get a large burr the flip it then remove it I have good results but I'm interested and like removing as little steel as possible

Nice vid! The newsprint hasn't been bad to me but, I need to get me some felt.

Is that a touch of flex I see in the still shot opening of the video? or an illusion, or I'm crazy. I've been wondering lately whether people apply right and left hand force evenly, or one more than the other.

If this is too off topic for this thread or forum ignore me.

Thanks for another great video. :doublethumbsup:

Is that a touch of flex I see in the still shot opening of the video? or an illusion, or I'm crazy. I've been wondering lately whether people apply right and left hand force evenly, or one more than the other.

If this is too off topic for this thread or forum ignore me.

Thanks for another great video. :doublethumbsup:

Just shadows and light. There pressure is applied by my left hand directly over the edge.

Very nicely done .
They grow up so fast:biggrin:

thanks for the video mate gotta love tanaka ironwood.

For a guy from Jersey you're not half bad. All bad jokes aside, great video Chef, thanks for sharing.

What diamond plate are you using? I need one and can't decide which one to use for this exact purpose?

Theory, how old/used are those 2 stones? correct me if I'm wrong, but they're the same as Dave's starter set? Perhaps the camera angle, but they look wicked thin compared to when new. Great video also, appreciate All of you guys taking the time to share

What diamond plate are you using? I need one and can't decide which one to use for this exact purpose?

It's an Atoma 140 that I stuck an Atoma 1200 replacement pad on the back for double sided win.

Theory, how old/used are those 2 stones? correct me if I'm wrong, but they're the same as Dave's starter set? Perhaps the camera angle, but they look wicked thin compared to when new. Great video also, appreciate All of you guys taking the time to share

Yeah, the bester 1200 and rika 5k are both kinda old. There's maybe 2mm left on the rika and I'll have to mount the bester soon if I wish to continue using it.

I make shiny things get cutty cutty. Kind of a longer video for me but hey it's a talkie!!

[video=youtube_share;dW_sAqpVmug]http://youtu.be/dW_sAqpVmug[/video]

Wish I'd watched that right when you posted it... :) Although now I must have yet another knife-related toy- a strop. This obsession never stops progressing does it

Wish I'd watched that right when you posted it... :) Although now I must have yet another knife-related toy- a strop. This obsession never stops progressing does it

No..... no it does not. Could email Dave Martell and see if he's got any felt scraps laying around. I got a couple from him and just made my 6th or so strop. First with felt though. Like it a lot. Just get a piece of leather or felt and glue it to a flat base of some sort, or... a lapped piece of balsa from the craft store can be used as a stropping substrate. Or news print wrapped around a dry sharpening stone can be used as well.

HS6XZt0.jpg

news print wrapped around a dry sharpening stone can be used as well.

Haha there's been a newspaper wrapped stone sitting out on my counter for several weeks. It works great, although my significant other has been threatening to throw it out and or leave forever.

Back