Hamon video and Binsui

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxim

Founding Member
Reaction score
Made some vids today now with fancy gloves :wink:

First one is very quick Hamon finish with some 1k fingerstone and Uchigomori

[video=youtube;MjvCEjbVQWw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjvCEjbVQWw[/video]

This one is Binsui Demo Huge and Super Huge :D

[video=youtube;kYIk_f3wQJE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYIk_f3wQJE&feature=youtu.be[/video]

In the first video starting at 10:34 is the part where I cut the **** out of myself. :oops:

its vinyl gloves ?
think more comfortable with bare hands
but gloved hands are clean :biggrin:

thanks for vids

What happened to the Hamon video? The length is now only 1:59.

It works fine here :)

PS remember to watch it in HD, there is many more details :cool2:

Thanks, Maxim. Reloading it fixed the problem, although it happened a couple more times before the video ended (different times, though). Odd.

Nice video! Some questions: why do you break the finger stones into smaller pieces? Why didn't you rinse the blade off before applying the oil? And, finally, how the heck do you keep from cutting yourself?

Very nice. Sorry to hear about the cut. I'm thinking of getting some cut-proof gloves for this kind of stuff, maybe wearing rubber gloves over them for better control.

Do you ever use lemon juice, vinegar, ferric chloride, etc. to bring out hamons? How do they compare with fingerstones?

why do you break the finger stones into smaller pieces? Why didn't you rinse the blade off before applying the oil? And, finally, how the heck do you keep from cutting yourself?

I use smaller pieces for even out the finish even more the smaller the fingerstone the more they can polish small scratches deeps in steel or some unevenness.
I did not rinse it so oil will polish blade too with some mud from the stone
I use my other fingers as a guide on backside of the blade thats how i have more control :D
But best is to lay blade down on some soft wood and do it, and much safer too :)

I'm thinking of getting some cut-proof gloves for this kind of stuff, maybe wearing rubber gloves over them for better control.

Do you ever use lemon juice, vinegar, ferric chloride, etc. to bring out hamons? How do they compare with fingerstones?

I started now to use gloves because i sharpen only freehand now and i get my skin from my fingers grind of by the stones haha :D
It actually helps me to get better, then i can feel when i hit wrong angle, if it make sens. Some Japanese sharpeners use plasters on the pressure fingers. I think gloves is easier to replace.

I always try to experiment with some etching. But right now i get better results only with fingerstones sometimes some wa powders.
The best result i got from etching is with vinegar, but i used it on razor for Hamon. On knife i think its much easier just to rub some finger stones on.

Latest posts

Back