Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CCK 1303 Cleaver Handle Upgrade?

CCK 1303 Cleaver Handle Upgrade?

I recently got my first cleaver, a CCK 1303. I love the cutting, but the handle could use an upgrade. (Yes, I knew this was a distinct possibility, but decided I'd give it a try first.) Just wondering if anyone on here has recommendations for someone who could do a handle upgrade. Given the cost of the blade, I don't want to go too crazy, but if I can find something reasonably priced, I think I'd like the cleaver a good bit more. Thanks for any input or suggestions.

Mike Henry..... make sure re-handle use short & thick handle for best control wide/heavy blade. I have seen many Chinese cleaver re-handle used gyuto size handle, its just won't work with Chinese cleaver!! the best Japan made Cleaver handle I have seen is Gesshin Ginga #6 Chinese Cleaver (Wa-Handle)
    Charles ***[All statements I made here only my personal opinion and nothing more!]*** & Please bare with me for my crappy English!!

Maybe an off the shelf rosewood deba handle from EE?
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

i think this one looks fantastic, even though i'm usually not a fan of such heavy patina on blades:

Nice..

Stripped with acetone then forced patina?

Thanks for all the thoughts. I'm discussing the project with Mike. Didn't see rosewood handles on EE, but maybe I'm looking in the wrong place. I do like that CCK in the photo--would be curious to know the handle material and how the patina was forced.

macmiddlebrooks
    Here's my newest prep tool..A CCK 1303 re-handled with cocobolo and ebony..as well as a fantastic saya from our friend Eamon.This cleaver cuts ridiculously well (as I'm sure many of you know) and with a new handle, it feels very natural in hand.
    I did my usual "finishing" which includes:
    -taking the dremel to the spine and choil followed by progressive sanding and then polishing.
    -light sanding of the corners of the handle followed by some tung oil.
    -removal of the forge slag and lacquer.
    -forced patina with mustard and then a hot vinegar bath for a couple hours.
    -stained the saya and carved a new pin out of "fatwood". I love fatwood pins due to there resinous nature....they really grip the hole when pushed in.
    -put a new edge on it of course .

After the pics were taken, I took a green scotchbrite pad to the steel, removed the patina (and extra slag that remained) and let the blade sit up-rite in an onion for about twenty min. to check re-activity. I fully expected the onion to have turned black where it sat up next to the blade, but it was totally unstained! Well, that's about it...thanks for looking.

Funny i think It's the second out of the three or four handles I think that I've ever made? Madagascan rosewood and reclaimed tortoise shell from old Japanese comb.

Quote Originally Posted by Chef Niloc View Post
    Funny i think It's the second out of the three or four handles I think that I've ever made? Madagascan rosewood and reclaimed tortoise shell from old Japanese comb.
    Nice handle chef, and good to see you back to posting.

Cheers!
    once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Quote Originally Posted by joyless View Post
    i think this one looks fantastic, even though i'm usually not a fan of such heavy patina on blades:
    Do you know where I could find this cleaver?