Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: assymetric grind or assymetric knife?

A lefty knife is ground with the more convex side (say the 70) on the left and the flatter part (30) on the right

Ok I've now spent 15minutes staring at my knife bevels and trying to guesstimate their angles. Either with or without magnification I can only conclude I couldn't say the sharpening angles of the knives I didn't sharpen myself. I'll know them after I've sharpened them but on a given knife it's pretty hard for me to say.

This mac choil seems to be just an asymmetric grind but the rest of the blade seems symmetric. I mean if someone would want to change the dominant hand for this knife it looks like it could be done with a bit of grinding.

Quote Originally Posted by andur View Post
    Ok I've now spent 15minutes staring at my knife bevels and trying to guesstimate their angles. Either with or without magnification I can only conclude I couldn't say the sharpening angles of the knives I didn't sharpen myself. I'll know them after I've sharpened them but on a given knife it's pretty hard for me to say.

This mac choil seems to be just an asymmetric grind but the rest of the blade seems symmetric. I mean if someone would want to change the dominant hand for this knife it looks like it could be done with a bit of grinding.
    Very nice pic. To me it's quite obvious the left face - the right in the picture - is flat, and the other side is convex. Put a ruler against it: it will touch the entire left face. Do it on the other one: it will only touch the area near the spine.

Quote Originally Posted by gic View Post
    So this obviously leads to a question: is a lefty knife forged differently or just badly resharpened.....

Lefties are made lefty - not just sharpened that way

Quote Originally Posted by gic View Post
    I think one exception might be macs. I'm looking at my Mac Pro MT-80 down the choi and it looks awfully symmetric to me.

MACs, Globals, Shuns (etc) aren't what I consider true Japanese knives, they're more like made in Japan for the west. These knives are the exceptions, they'll be found to be symmetric.....sometimes. I never include these knives in this discussion and I should have made that clear.

This knife is right handed asymmetric. Don't look at the edge - look at the blade.

Quote Originally Posted by Benuser View Post
    A really symmetric blade would wedge as no other. You may put a symmetric edge on an asymmetric blade, but sooner or later you will experience crazy steering or wedging.
    Can you name some examples?
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    This knife is right handed asymmetric. Don't look at the edge - look at the blade.
    I wish I could see what you are seeing...I understand this conceptually, but I have yet to figure out how to look at a knife to see this.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

I agree with Zwiefel on this. Also I should add it's a random mac knife pic from the web, not a knife I have at the moment. I drew some lines over the blade in Paint and it does seem to be fairly symmetric in my eyes. Given a lot of these knives are hand forged and hand ground I'd be very suprised if they could grind some 0.1mm differences to the edges by eyeballing/experience. I'd think they just grind it semi flat on both sides and then carefully sharpen the asymmetric edge?

I just took a piece of paper and held it up to the screen and I can tell you the left side of the knife (not the picture) is basically flat while the right of the knife has some curve.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/