Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cutting a stone?

Cutting a stone?

I have to admit, I am not completely migrated to freehand sharpening. I have an Edge Pro - Pro and I get some pretty nice results with it. I would like to try some other stones on it and cutting them myself seem like an intriguing idea and challenge in and of itself. I'm thinking a decent tile saw that will cut wet. Soaking ahead for stones that are soakers. And then jumping in to see what happens. I anticipate some learning and I am prepared for that. Might end up with a handful of rock chips? Maybe nice 1x6 stones I can mount to blanks for use on the EP?

Would love to hear any thoughts on this process or even better if you have tried it what worked for you and what didn't?

Try a cheap one first.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Take the plunge - sell the edge pro and buy some stones with the proceeds. Hey - you can only f*ck up so long and it's never really that bad. At some point you start to get it right - then it's all down hill.

If you break any, I will buy some of the small pieces from you to use as finger-stones. I want to try some synthetic finger stones instead of sandpaper for polishing a blade.

You can do what that guy (ksskss/ken123) who cuts up EdgePro stones does and use a wet tile saw. You can rent the same thing from Home Depot....

http://www.homedepotrents.com/diyTools/tile_saw.asp

Here's some discussions he had with people when he was starting out and looking for info. Maybe this will help some...

http://www.contractortalk.com/f73/ri...in-cuts-64690/

http://www.contractortalk.com/f73/sl...ws-rpms-65939/

http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/...ad.php?t=77120

Let us know how it goes.

Good info thanks Dave!

Mike9 - Thanks, I have taken the plunge but I still have my feet on both sides of the fence. There is still room for both worlds just yet.

Gave it a quick run through tonight. I have a Suehiro Chemical Stone 800 grit that was going to be my first run at it. Then I happened to run across this combo stone on a shelf in my garage. I'm pretty sure it is actually an oil stone. Anyway I said, self there is what you need for your first try at this.

The stone was roughly 2" x 8". I cut down the middle and made two 1" wide pieces. Then I turned one of them on it's side and split the two different grit types apart and then trimmed each to 6". Not even 5 min. for the both of them with my flattening plate and the tool marks are gone and edges are knocked off. I have two pieces of stone that would be ready to mount to EP blanks If I wanted to use them.

I also learned some things in the process. I'll try what I think will be improvements in the process on the other half of this stone and then I'll have a go at the Suehiro. Hopefully I can get to it tomorrow sometime.

Awesome, congratulations!
    once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

looks good! =D