Quantcast
Why the Secrecy, Misono? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why the Secrecy, Misono?

Seriously, Lefty... We all just think we know what we're using. Most of the time, it's really hoping that we're buying what we think we are. If all the stainless knives out there were made from some generic molybdenum alloy, I wonder if we'd never figure it out.

The Masamoto HC has better steel than the Misono Swedish. I can get it discernibly sharper and I also find it easier to sharpen. The Masamoto also feels nicer in the hand - but the Misono has a nicer tip.

There is no way the MS should cost more than the HC.

What IS molybdenum?? Haha JK.
    I kinda agree tk.
    I still would like to know, just because I'm like that.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Its so people like me don't miss the forest for the trees. Although the steel type is an important aspect of a knife, its not the only aspect. As we all know there is much more to knife performance than steel and heat treat. However, people tend to dumb down comparisons and say model X knife is as good as a model Y knife because they use the same steel and is cheaper. I know I'm guilty of this with a certain knife 500 dollar VG-? knife. I can't bring myself to buy one because I would feel a little ripped off knowing that it uses the same steel as cheaper knives.

When I visited Hoss a few months ago, I had the pleasure of cutting myself with one of his prototypes that was made of a steel he is not known for using. The experience was very enlightening because the knife cut better than any other knife I've seen made from that material. I told him that if ever produced this knife, he shouldn't tell people what it was because people would have a preconceived notion of its performance before trying it out.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." --Albert Einstein

That makes a lot of sense, rockbox!
    It's funny because I'm the first guy to admit steel is nowhere near as important as the maker, grind, profile, etc.
    I guess talking chemical make-up and steel types earlier on sparked my interest. I should just be happy that my knives get sharp, stay sharp for a while and cut cleanly, but there's still that little voice saying, "how does this steel compare to X..?"
    09/06

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    ....It's funny because I'm the first guy to admit steel is nowhere near as important as the maker, grind, profile, etc...."
    +1
    BTW - doesen't Shige use a swedish steel he calls 'spicy' ? Another example to support maker over material.
    Semi Hijack - as much as Misono's price increase was a big jump - they did hold the price for I think 5 years (when I bought mine) During the same time, MC's SFGZ's jumped from $17.50/sun to $55

Quote Originally Posted by mikemac View Post
    as much as Misono's price increase was a big jump - they did hold the price for I think 5 years (when I bought mine) During the same time, MC's SFGZ's jumped from $17.50/sun to $55
    That's over a 300% increase! Wowwwww!!!
    I wonder if this could be due to what we now call "the Kramer effect"?
    09/06

I love Misono, but looking at their recent prices is painful.
    I really am related to Tony Clifton.

Despite the hue and cry over Misono's recent price increases, I think the current prices are fair compared to the competition. The old prices were remarkably low considering the quality of Misono's knives.
    Doug Collins
    Hermosa Beach, California

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    That's over a 300% increase! Wowwwww!!!
    I wonder if this could be due to what we now call "the Kramer effect"?
    Seems like MC was always able to earn top dollar for the IP series, the true one-off custom work. Just seems like the SFGZ type of knives have seen pricing accelerate away from the 'everymans' category.

Just glad I got mine at 17.50/sun plus $25 for the ebony handle