Help about sharpening Miyabi 5000S Usuba

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joels747

Reaction score
hi, does anyone know how Miyabi sharpen the ura of their usuba ?

I got a Miaby 5000S Ususba and it has a 2 mm bevel sharpened on the back side which is not uraoshi sharpening.

I wonder if this is done at the factory or someone did it after it was bought.

thanks.

hi, does anyone know how Miyabi sharpen the ura of their usuba ?

I got a Miaby 5000S Ususba and it has a 2 mm bevel sharpened on the back side which is not uraoshi sharpening.

I wonder if this is done at the factory or someone did it after it was bought.

thanks.

Does it have the concave back of a true single-bevel knife? It may be a ryouba usuba (otherwise known as a nakiri) marketed by Henkels as an "usuba", with a large bevel on the right side.

If it's anything like the Global single bevels I've seen, it's got both a concave ura and a bevel on the back. If so, you'll basically have to move the front side bevel up and over to hit the edge on the back side, then perform uraoshi. Then you'll realize you wasted hours in vain because the steel is too weak to hold that thin an edge, and regrind that bevel all over again.

The 5000s series is about 58 hrc so it is pretty soft compared to Japanese steel so it won't hold a super keen edger required for a true usuba for long. From all the stock photos online most of them only show the right side of the blade. The ones that do show the left are just image reversals since there should be a different logo on the backside. Lets see a picture to be sure though. Here's what an Amazon reviewer said:

I just spent an hour polishing this knife to a real edge.
The factory should do this. It came out of the box back beveled. Not how a hollow ground Usuba
should be sharpened. Nice knife though when sharpened properly.

So there's that as well.

Thanks for the help.
The knife has a concave back and a 2 mm bevel at the edge of the back.
From your replies it seems that it comes out of the factory this way.
So I'm not going to try and correct that.
It is a nice knife when sharpened properly, so I'll enjoy it until I get a better one.
Thanks again

Back