Quantcast
deba knives: be honest - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: deba knives: be honest

Quote Originally Posted by Patatas Bravas View Post
    And you mean 1-bevel or kamagata?
    Kamagata Usuba is a single bevel with the pointy tip.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

My deba has been used for fish only, except the one time I cut a piece of bread with it, which worked really well. I would use my gyuto for a pumpkin probably.

Quote Originally Posted by ThEoRy View Post
    Kamagata Usuba is a single bevel with the pointy tip.
    Oh, it was my mistake. I meant the Eastern Japan azumagata type vs the kamagata Western Japan type. Sorry for confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Patatas Bravas View Post
    Yes, if I had a big German knife than I am fine I think. Anyway, so I use the deba - very thick, but at least it is not going to break in two pieces on hard shell.

Disagree about the pumpkin - lots of pumpkins in Asian cuisine. Curries, puddings, Japanese and Korean foods....
    I'm mainly talking about crown pumpkin, thats pretty much all they sell here, in thailand they do have fak thong, which is kabocha in Japan, but it's a squash and was introduced.

I used mine on a melon, just to see what it would do. Only fish since then. If you want a heavy knife for bones, get a Western deba.

Rick

My deba is only for fish. I really dont understand how you would benefit cutting a chicken, duck, goose what ever with a deba.

Quote Originally Posted by JMac View Post
    My deba is only for fish. I really dont understand how you would benefit cutting a chicken, duck, goose what ever with a deba.
    yap!! that exactly what I'm thinking about!!???????
    Charles ***[All statements I made here only my personal opinion and nothing more!]*** & Please bare with me for my crappy English!!

I really wanted a Deba because they just look so cool. For cutting thru chicken bones and turkey bones.
    From what I read, this type of knife chips easily when hacking thru chicken and turkey bones so I decided against it.

I'm now using an old 6" Henkles Chef's knife that I stopped using for everyday chopping.
    I'm not sure what the best knife is for this task (spatchcocking a chicken/turkey) but I do it regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by ThEoRy View Post
    This thread is the very reason I bought a Tojiro 240mm Yo-Deba. So I can beat the **** out of it and not care.
    I have the 210mm, superb.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDelicious View Post
    I really wanted a Deba because they just look so cool. For cutting thru chicken bones and turkey bones.
    From what I read, this type of knife chips easily when hacking thru chicken and turkey bones so I decided against it.

I'm now using an old 6" Henkles Chef's knife that I stopped using for everyday chopping.
    I'm not sure what the best knife is for this task (spatchcocking a chicken/turkey) but I do it regularly.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/