Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: deba knives: be honest

I've used a deba for a chicken once or twice...its not really a good knife for that job at all IMO. Now, I only use deba for fish. I don't see how it would really do a good job on hard veg like pumpkin....I don't think it would be that easy to get precise cuts with a deba on that product.

My Kanasaki deba in my avatar is specifically designed for crab and shellfish. So it isn't a random deba use on my Crab. I was lucky enough to buy it a while back from Bishamon. Just thought I would throw that out there.

If you want to use deba on a pumpkin, why not?

Ive been a professional cook and sushi chef for almost a decade and I can tell you that ive seen people slice beautifully thin green onion with a deba. And wreck them with sharp gyutos. If you find the knife works for what you need and the technique works and doesnt damage your knife or product... who cares?

Rock on!

+1. As an example, I use my suji to carve big veg and fruit, and a little French super skinny paring to debone squab and small poultry. As long as your comftorable, and the knife isn't getting damaged (but really it's your knife, so if your okay with that, so be it) do what you gotta do
    "This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!" -Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

you should use a bread knife for the pumpkin the deba i think is too thick to really be of good use for the pumpkin...but enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by FaInPl View Post
    you should use a bread knife for the pumpkin the deba i think is too thick to really be of good use for the pumpkin...but enjoy
    Yes, another good idea, thanks, and yes a deba is too thick. However, I don't have a bread knife and somehow a deba is still more fun don't you think?

Besides... I always thought that we should only use bread knives for bread. I don't want to make new trouble again.

Bread knives are for the drawer when guests visit, a gyuto will cut bread and pumkins just fine.
    once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Quote Originally Posted by Patatas Bravas View Post
    Besides... I always thought that we should only use bread knives for bread. I don't want to make new trouble again.
    Agreed, bread knife for bread only, and only the breads that non-serrated blades wont work as well on.

... And paring knives only for pears.

Quote Originally Posted by GlassEye View Post
    Agreed, bread knife for bread only, and only the breads that non-serrated blades wont work as well on.
    Theres no way you could use any valuable chef knife on the sourdough Im baking. But from what Ive eaten the SF sourdough wouldt be a tough nut to crack for a top japanese knife too.

And I've seen people cutting sushi rolls with wiktorinoks. hell yeah.