Quantcast
Building sharpening setup - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Building sharpening setup

Thank you for your replies.

Concerning the Korin flatteners - those that are priced attractively are rather small and smaller than the stones they are supposed to flatten. Does that work well? I would indeed prefer to go for the large diamond plate, but it is more than 100 € what is a bit steep for the start.

So far I can say that Maksim is indeed a nice guy to deal with - answering very quickly and being very helpful (he also had a handful of questions to answer first ) So I am indeed inclined to get his JNS Beginner Sharpening Set.

So let's just say for the sake of argument I would get the JNS Set - what else am I going to need?
    - I supposed the flattener.
    - But what about the stropping?
    - Should I look for some kind of stone-holder or jut put in in a piece of cloth os some piece of wood?
    - How to store those stones properly?
    - is 6k stone enough for a nice smooth edge?

I have just started to watch the video from Carter Cuttlery - love the intro (4 minutes not a single word, just one knife gets shaving sharp - it is like watching a black-belt karate master training )

One obligatory A vs B question - how would the JNS stones compare to those from Gesshin/King/Bester/Suehiro stones? Not necessarily a 'better' question rather what kind of edge do these give and how do they handle.

I can't answer your question on comparing the JNS to the other stones. I'm more of a Naniwa guy. I personally just use a wet towel on a 2x4 over my sink to hold the stone. Cheap and glamourous! For flattening I use 90 grit silicon carbide loose grit on a flat piece of glass. Works very well and is also cheap. For stone dressing I bought a set of three 1x3 diamond plates on ebay for $9. They work well. Stropping I use felt on 2x4 for deburring. Balsa on 2x4 for with cromium oxide for final edge. And lastly horse butt leather glued to (you guessed it 2x4) for final strop

please check other members sharpening stations for reference, then decide what sharpen accessories you need! for stropping, you can use Diamond Spray or Diamond Compound on balsa wood/Rock Hard Felt Pad & leather. or just use news paper for stropping....
    Charles ***[All statements I made here only my personal opinion and nothing more!]*** & Please bare with me for my crappy English!!

The thread about sharpening stations is great - a lot of nice ideas. I guess I will make myself a wooden bench to put on the kitchen sink as that seems a straight forward and stable solution.

Now back to the stones:

For the start I plan to go with 1k/6k stones - just the options that are there are too many From cheaper stones like King or Naniwa basic stones (Akamonzen 1000 - which got great review in DE and some others) to 'higher end' options like Gesshin 1000/6000 (looks great to be honest) or Naniwa Super Stones or Naniwa Chosera.

Watching the (awsome) video from Murray Carter (I am half way through - it has 3 hours!) already answered many of my questions. Murray is using King 1k and 6k stones there.

So - if King stones are 'good enough' for a master smith, than they might do the job for me to I would guess

So one specific question - I read that King stones wear rather fast and given that I will be sharpening the Yoshikane SKD and SLD knives that have hrc 62-64, it makes me wondering whether the King would be the right choice or whether I should look at some more wear resistant stones.

Also - for some reason unknown I would probably prefer stone at least 25mm (or 1") thick - maybe I expect the stone to be more stable/substantial and easier to use (King 1k can be had in size 230x100x80 mm and 4kg weight )

Is it in general a better idea to get 2 separate stones or one stones which is glued from 2 different ones?

if you're worried about stones, check out an excellent new stone from japaneseknifeimports, his new gesshin 1k/6k combo stone which is about 1 inch thick on each side. but then it's $135. i'm looking into it already. might be worth checking out as another choice for myself.

those'll last you forever.

I think getting two separate stones is generally a better idea for several reasons.
    •You can sharpen on both sides of each stone, which allows you longer sharpening time between flattening
    •If it turns out that you like one half of the stone but not the other, having two separate stones allows you to sell one and keep the one you like
    •If you use your high grit stone for touch-ups, having separate stones means a lighter package to transport, or smaller stone to leave out for maintenance

FWIW, I have no trouble at all quickly generating a burr on my Yoshikane SKD with both Chocera and JNS stones (havent tried other brands)

Another option for a combo stone that looks interesting and was actually designed because of an idea from people on this forum is the suehiro 1k/5k stone from stu at Toolsfromjapan who's a vendor here. The 1k is the Cerax stone and the 5k is the much loved Rika. That's basically 2 full size stones glued together. I'm interested in that stone but it would just overlap what I already have but would be a great option for you

- franzb69 -
    Thanks. I am aware of the Gesshin 1000/6000 but I am not really able to locate one in Europe and once I add shipping and taxes I will end up in around 150 € or more.

- Chefdog -
    Once you out it this way it indeed seems to make more sense to get 2 separate stones.

Thank you for the feedback on sharpening the Yoshikane!

sorry to hear that. my mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by franzb69 View Post
    sorry to hear that. my mistake.
    No problem at all. I was actually surprised to find out that Gesshin stones seem only available from one seller - the JKI.

I have read a bit more around and it seems that JNS stones are not bad at all People seem to comment on them to be rather hard - what are the implications for the result of the sharpening?

Still - I am wondering whether I could 'cheat' and get something like King 1k/6k, Bester 1k/6k or Naniwa Homestone 1k/3k to get the price down a bit or whether I should go straight for JNS (or Gesshin or the like)

Actually - apart from the obvious - are there any relevant differences between the stones that need to be soaked for a longer time and the splash-and-go ones?