Quantcast
Building sharpening setup
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Building sharpening setup

Building sharpening setup

So - I have just pulled a trigged on a couple of Yoshikane knives (one SKD one SLD - so both are semi-stainless - both from Maksim JNS). On top of that I have one VG-10, one 19c27, one 1095 and a few more average stainless. These are mostly kitchen knives, one Mora 2000 and one Finish knife (Iisaki Aito).

So - right now I have the KME sharpening system which is based on 4" DMT stones. It works OK, but has its quirks and 2 of the stones actually have some edge-damage which you can 'hear' during sharpening.

So I am looking into sharpening stones.

Right now I am downloading video from Carter Cutlery (which is extremely SLOW) to learn how to sharpen knives properly.

I have read quite a few threads on the topic of stone sharpening, but I still have hard time to put together a setup that covers the sharpening process from A to Z. I know I need some 3 stones, possibly something to flatten the stone (diamond?) and probably also some kind of stropping.

So my question is:

Could you please share how a complete sharpening setup should look like? I am looking into getting something works good, not necessarily the super-dooper best and most expensive stuff there is.

thanks

Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

I have 2 Yoshi SLD! Gesshin 2000 & 6000 works great for me....for flatten the stone, I like Atoma 140x better than DMT.
    Charles ***[All statements I made here only my personal opinion and nothing more!]*** & Please bare with me for my crappy English!!

To make things quicker and probably cheaper you can get some good stones and sharpening gear in Europe

Beston 500 from Maxim

Atoma 140 from Dieter Schmid in Germany for flattening

1200 Bester from Dieter Schmid

Chosera 5000 from Eden Webshops

not necessarily a wrong or right way.. but youre definitely on the right track

murray carter sharpening is a very good starting point. gives you a good breakdown of thinning a blade and reasons why.. deburring methods, stropping, and honing the blade etc.

if my knife is really bad off i'll start on a Bester 1200. and then go up to a 3000 and this gets it perfect for what i use it for. repair i'll hit it on a 500 grit. my knives get a lot of work on the job though so this is daily or every other day. if i have the time to hit it on the stone everyday then i can get away with just starting on the 3000. on that token, my head chef at work uses a 2000 if his knife needs a lot of work, and a 12000 for "touchups".. a bit different from the 1000 to a 6000 a lot of people (including murray carter) use with good results. but his blades are scary sharp.

These are cheap and work well for flattening. no need to break the bank for sharpening tools. as youll see in the video, murray sharpens a knife on a cinder block and then strops it and gets it crazy sharp.. its 90% technique. just get a stone flattener (and be sure to use it before or after every session), and 2 stones and youre good to go

Or you could check Korin for flatteners; they are even less expensive and you can support one of the vendors here.

http://korin.com/Knives/Stone-Fixer_2
    one man gathers what another man spills...

Quote Originally Posted by chinacats View Post
    Or you could check Korin for flatteners; they are even less expensive and you can support one of the vendors here.

http://korin.com/Knives/Stone-Fixer_2
    on that note.. whats the difference between a $120+ dollar flattener, and a 20$ one.. does one flatten "better" than the other? always perplexed me.. sorry for the hijack

Ill throw in a recommendation for Maksim's 1k synthetic stone and his synthetic aoto (3/5k). Since you purchased your knives through JNS, you know his service and products are very good.

http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com...nes-s/1818.htm

Jon has a new combo stone! =D

http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/...mbo-stone.html

might try out one for myself. 2" thick! =D

+ Reply to Thread