Quantcast
assymetric grind or assymetric knife?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: assymetric grind or assymetric knife?

assymetric grind or assymetric knife?

is there any obvious way to tell if a knife with say a 80/20, 70/30 or 60/40 grind has simply been sharpened asymmetrically or was actually forged/stamped asymmetrically. In the former case one could make it symmetric without any loss, in the later not so much. i'm thinking of my carbonext for example, Masahiro MV-H or Tojiro DP...

TIA

I have yet to see a Japanese knife whose blade is anything but asymmetric so IMO it's pretty easy to tell which ones are asymmetric because that's all of them.

All Japanese I've seen - and, by the way, most French - are more or less asymmetric, one side more or less flat, another one more or less convex, and have a more or less off centered axis. A really symmetric blade would wedge as no other. You may put a symmetric edge on an asymmetric blade, but sooner or later you will experience crazy steering or wedging. If the blade is very thin it's not all that obvious.

My Hiromoto and Yoshihiro gyutos are both convex on the right side and pretty much flat on the left. Any decent straight edge will tell you.

Simple way is to look at the knife from the choil. Like everyone says, basically all of them are asymmetric, which sucks if you're a lefty

im not all too fond of asymmetric bevels, is it bad to sharpen an asymmetrically ground knife to a 50/50 bevel? if so, why?

Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post
    im not all too fond of asymmetric bevels, is it bad to sharpen an asymmetrically ground knife to a 50/50 bevel? if so, why?
    Dave wrote an AWESOME thread about this. It's definitely worth a read.

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...-The-REAL-DEAL

So this obviously leads to a question: is a lefty knife forged differently or just badly resharpened.....

My Katsushige Anryu santoku and petty are both as symmetric as I can tell. I've not seen an asymmetric santoku yet... or have I been missing something?

I think one exception might be macs. I'm looking at my Mac Pro MT-80 down the choi and it looks awfully symmetric to me.

+ Reply to Thread