Cutting Boards and Magnetic Strips - Page 10
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Cutting Boards and Magnetic Strips

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dsc_0526.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	14007

Tried to link image on my site to the store, but it didn't work. So to access store, please use the link below:

Store

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post

Name:	dsc_0526.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	14007

Tried to link image on my site to the store, but it didn't work. So to access store, please use the link below:

Store
    Wow, that looks great! I like the strips so much more without the big centered logo. It would still be nice to see a brand on it, like the "Marko Designs" shown in the first, just smaller and in a corner. But without the "designs" part. Not really a fan of the comic sans typeface.

Love this design!

Quote Originally Posted by jayhay View Post
    Wow, that looks great! I like the strips so much more without the big centered logo. It would still be nice to see a brand on it, like the "Marko Designs" shown in the first, just smaller and in a corner. But without the "designs" part. Not really a fan of the comic sans typeface.

Love this design!
    Thank you.

I have commissioned a branding head with my logo (same as on my knives) in .5x1.5". I intend on marking strips, strops, DMT custom bases, and counter-top knife blocks (when I get to them) in the bottom right corner, discreet but still visible.

Until I get a new logo head, I will use Marko Designs, but burn it on the back of the strip. Come to think that I can grind off the "designs" and have Marko only.

About the pricing for these. The higher cost reflects higher cost of materials (magnets, thicker, highly figured lumber, fittings), time and labor. These strips are not easy to make and are quite time consuming. If you don't believe me, try to make one yourself.

I don't plan to make many of these, just a few at a time, and I don't anticipate running sales on these. Just giving you heads up.

Thanks,

M
    Last edited by JohnnyChance; 03-19-2013 at 03:36 PM.

Latest strip in quilted maple.

Name:	DSC_0556.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	50.7 KB 
ID:	16525

I wanted to mention a couple of things regarding the magnetic strips.

I use a recessed hardware construction that allows the face of the strip be free of screws. The hardware accepts flathead screws (provided along with anchors). I place the hardware on a back of a strip a certain distance apart (even number, in the case of 18" block, total lengh 21", the hardware is placed 16" apart).

To mount the strip, a person needs to mark the holes on a leveled line 16" apart, drill the holes with a small bit 1/16-1/8" and then widen the holes with a 1/4 bit to accept anchors.

As long as marking is done correctly (always double-check) mounting the strip should very easy. Before securing the screw in the anchor, one should put it in the hardware and estimate how many threads should be left on the screw for a flush wall mount, and from there adjust up or down for a flush fit. I don't recommend using double-sided tape or any sorts of glue, as over time the weight of the block and knives will likely break the bond and the strip is likely to fall. Hanging on the screws anchored in the wall is the is the most secure way. Please remember that.

A typical magnetic strip uses one row of magnets. These are strong magnets and can hold securely a typical chef's or other large knife. If you have a deba or some other comparably heavy knife, I would need to either use two rows of magnets, on a part of the strip, or make a separate strip with two rows of magnets for heaviest knives. I would need to know beforehand what the preferences are, so I can factor them into construction.

Thanks,

M

24" walnut strip (next to 150mm petty)

Name:	DSC_0554.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	34.1 KB 
ID:	17113

I should simply set up direct deposit into your bank account, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by don View Post
    I should simply set up direct deposit into your bank account, huh?

That wouldn't be necessary, but I am very happy that you like my work.

M

Magnetic strips are going to be a stock item in walnut and maple. 18" and 24".

I have a few custom orders for boards, so these will have to be completed before any ready-made are produced.

On the finishing stage. All 24" are already bespoken, and two 18" are bespoken. I will be making more in tiger maple.

Name:	20131115_105152.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	50.4 KB 
ID:	20213

Name:	20131115_105117.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	20214

Name:	20131115_105137.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	20215

Shipping these out on Monday - Tuesday.

One 24" maple and one 18" maple are available, the rest are bespoken - thank you for the patience.

Name:	20131117_151749.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	20262