Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Cutting Boards and Magnetic Strips

I'd be interested in both a board and a wall strip, especially the wall strip. I would enjoy a makers mark somewhere but honestly don't see a metal emblem as a step up, burn in logo is just as good. Face without screws would be preferred if its still simple to mount. Don't know how many magnets it would take but it'd be awesome to display some of my Betty cleavers and my 270mm deba (probably about 1.5-2lbs) currently with you so I can't weight it. I'm eager to see what you come up with and glad someone has stepped up to make magnetic knife strips as it seem one of the few things we are lacking on this forum, now if only someone will start making knife blocks again.

I'd personally prefer hidden hardware. And I'd be proud to have a Marko seal of approval adorning said strip.
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

I have ordered hardware, so as soon as I receive it, I will experiment. The intention is to have the block securely attached and flush against the wall. It would be easier to do this with through-screws, but hidden/recessed hardware should work as well.

@Will, blocks will come at some point, probably wall-mount before free standing, but one step at the time now. Those are slightly more complex, and I just don't have time/don't want to deal with them right now. Even little things can consume a lot of my time and I do enjoy tweaking things, sometimes without end in sight.

Ultimately, I would like to offer a whole line of accessories, to accompany my knives, made to my liking, but with a lot of input from the end users.

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

those boards look amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    Ultimately, I would like to offer a whole line of accessories...
    Ultimately, I would like to fill my future kitchen with your knives and accessories!

I second/third the idea of your maker's mark on the side edge (brass coin or burn-in) of both the board and magnet block. A hidden mount with some sort of easy-to-remove-and-clean feature would be my preference. I can imagine a thin mounting bracket for the block to lock onto the screw heads.

Quote Originally Posted by hoimin View Post
    ... A hidden mount with some sort of easy-to-remove-and-clean feature would be my preference. I can imagine a thin mounting bracket for the block to lock onto the screw heads.
    That's the idea. I would like a strip be flush on the wall, but it should be easily removed for oiling, waxing and buffing.

I have spend an hour this morning walking my dog and thinking of magnetic strips, and got an interesting idea for design. I am going to keep numb until I make a prototype. The hardware for hidden mount will be here by the end of next week, so you guys will have to arm yourself with patience, or I will have to make a prototype with screws-through mount.

Another thing I was thinking about is to make dedicated strips for heavier knives. It's hard to find a common denominator magnetic pull for 500g and 200g knives. The right pull for heavier knives will be too strong for regular weight, and this has been a complain about some of the blocks on the market. I am going to think a little more about it, but I am strongly leaning to either making a separate strip with a stronger pull, or have a part of a strip have a stronger pull for heaving knives and part for regular weight knives. If a strip has screws-through mount, then there will be a middle screw/s that will indicate separation between these two sections. With hidden mount, I will have to come up with some visual indicator.

Keep those surveys coming! I have been adding new fields to them as surveys pored in.

Board Survey Form
    http://www.tsourkanknives.com/index....-boards-survey

Magnetic Strip Survey Form
    http://www.tsourkanknives.com/index....c-strip-survey

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

This may be over simplifying your connection problem, but....

Since the magnetic strip already has a magnet in it, would another wall mounted magnet be enough to hold the strip with knives in place?
    Please visit my store at www.dreamburls.com Imagine the possibilities!
    Email me at service@dreamburls.com
    Visit our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/dream.burls
    All sales are backed with a no questions asked money back guarantee.

Those links are not working for me, from any device. 404 error?

Maybe just me, I an not really computer savy.

Quote Originally Posted by kalaeb View Post
    Those links are not working for me, from any device. 404 error?

Maybe just me, I an not really computer savy.
    Sorry, reorganized site a little bit. Here is the new link:

http://www.tsourkanknives.com/index.php/surveys

Thanks,

M

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Burls View Post
    This may be over simplifying your connection problem, but....

Since the magnetic strip already has a magnet in it, would another wall mounted magnet be enough to hold the strip with knives in place?
    I considered suggesting this too, but then there is the potential for pulling off the entire rack, unless it is sleeved in, in which case there is no need to spend on extra magnets. I've heard of Ikea-hacks where people just glued two racks together magnet-side out and magnetically mount the whole contraption because they couldn't drill (link).