Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Cutting Boards and Magnetic Strips

The strip will be mounted with screws, either with screws-through the strip or on a hidden mounting hardware on the back of the strip.
    In either case, there will be anchors in the wall. I don't have a solution for hanging a strip over tiled surface, except drilling and anchoring. I would not recommend a sticky tape, regardless the strength or manufacturer's recommendation.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

I was asked today if a strip could be mounted vertically and knives stored horizontally.

There are couple of issues that need to be taking into consideration - gravity and overlapping magnetic fields from multiple magnets that can cause rotation. One way to work around them is to embed steps for individual knives similar to guitar fretboard. They don't need to protrude much, maybe 3/16" at most, but it would be enough to keep the knives in place and prevent from occasional turning (I can see contrast wood as a good choice). The strip mounted vertically has to be a bit wider too and magnetic pull stronger (or magnet layout differently) so occasional bumping wont knock out the knife off the strip.

I am sort of lukewarm to the idea of making this type, but am throwing it out in the open. What do you guys think of the idea?

M

So I made a magnetic strip, I think it was 22" of magnetic area. I used Birdseye maple that when oiled lit up and showed some underlying burly grain figure. There a small spalted area as well.

I know you are asking where are the pictures?, but a friend stopped by and left with it. I still have some more of the material, so a smaller (around 20") and a larger (36") strips are coming soon.

M

Is the survey over? I was going to offer my input

It' s never over. Nothing is written in stone. No good ideas will ever be refused.

Sorry, Marko, I should have been more specific. The links to the survey in the first post are returning 404 errors, which is why I thought it was over.

Countertop Knife Blocks

Now that I finalized designes of two wall-mount magnetic strips, I would like to turn my attention to a design of a free-standing countertop blocks. I am thinking of starting with a magnetic block, and at some later time to come add a traditional block that has slots.

I personally give preference for magnetic over slotted designs, for two reasons. Fist, magnetic blocks are typically less complex. Second, in the past, I had some carbon knives rust on me while oiled and stored in sayas, so I think I would prefer a visual check periodically for signs of trouble. And it goes without saying that magnetic blocks will do a better job at displaying your knives.

There are many designs out there, but this particular one appeals to me. Obviously, I won't copy it, but I like the concept and the simplicity of this block. (Knives on this one are stored tips up, so the recess is for handles) A style like that would go along well with my knives and other products.

Any suggestions for alternative designs? As always, thank you. Oh, forgot to add that countertop magnetic block wold be be made out of American Black walnut, my favorite wood.

Name:  26600.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  15.3 KB

M

Marko, this counter-top magnetic block is exactly what I'm looking for! when I can purchase one??
    Charles ***[All statements I made here only my personal opinion and nothing more!]*** & Please bare with me for my crappy English!!

I shy away from slotted knife blocks -- hard to clean if anything gets caught in there. They make for nice enclosed damp environments.

An alternative design I've been kicking around, which will require more woodworking than a flat block would be something like a blocky comb. Each 'tooth' would offer 3 surfaces for a blade. The whole thing could be angled out so the handles are more accessible, where the back of the block (which can be another magnetic surface) is tilted and the weight is primarily on the 'teeth', which are triangle slabs. It's not as compact a design as a slotted block, but it doesn't care what size and types of blades you have.