Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cutting Boards and Magnetic Strips

Thanks for explaining that, Marko. You still owe me a cutting board from a year or so back (kidding, partly )

I stopped making boards a year ago or so, as I didn't have access to wide belt sander. I do now.

Thanks again for chiming in, folks. I find these surveys very effective, as it makes me think of things I didn't think before and air them on the forum. Keep them coming and I will keep answering, so others will get the same info.

In my opinion, two-tone (w/ a contrasting frame) looks good on larger boards - 16x22 or 18x24, as it allows the inside section to be of a good size. I personally don't like two-tone on a 12x18 for the reason I just stated.

The thinnest I would go would be 1 7/8" on 12x18 and 14-15x20". Ultimately, you want a stable board that will last for many years. Hands recesses will allow to move the board around (I wash my board probably once a week) easily and recessed feet allow the board to sit almost as low as if it didn't have any feet.

I get lumber from a very reputable place locally. All their lumber is kiln dried, ready to be worked, but as a rule, I keep it in the shop for some time for it to acclimate. This hopefully will add to the stability of the future board. I use Titebond III, lay out the grain for stability and do a proper seasoning with mineral oil and mixture of natural waxes/oil before packing and getting it out. I would ship by FedEx or UPS packed for the worse case scenarios.

I will make them only as I find lumber with interesting end grain - a handful per month if that.

Magnetic strips I can make in a variety of woods (domestic and imported), but again, the grain has to be interesting. These are to complement my knives - I am not interested in mass-producing either of these two products.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Marko,
    Maybe you could offer the silicon feet as an option with it's own check box, or just include the feet in a baggie with installation directions and leave it up to the customer.
    I need to slide my cutting board into a narrow cabinet that also holds our cookie sheets. I think the feet will just make things tighter and will probably catch on the pan edges as I try to push it in. I too am happy with putting a dish towel under it to keep it from slipping around and help absorb impacts. It also means I have two usable sides to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill13 View Post
    Marko,
    Maybe you could offer the silicon feet as an option with it's own check box, or just include the feet in a baggie with installation directions and leave it up to the customer.
    I need to slide my cutting board into a narrow cabinet that also holds our cookie sheets. I think the feet will just make things tighter and will probably catch on the pan edges as I try to push it in. I too am happy with putting a dish towel under it to keep it from slipping around and help absorb impacts. It also means I have two usable sides to work with.
    Or you could just remove the feet when you get the board.
    Please visit my store at www.dreamburls.com Imagine the possibilities!
    Email me at service@dreamburls.com
    Visit our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/dream.burls
    All sales are backed with a no questions asked money back guarantee.

These boards will be one-sided. You can remove the feet (they are screwed in), but the bottom side will show recessed holes and recessed area for a grip. Given the thickness and weight of these boards, particularly the larger ones, I won't be comfortable sending them modified.

I will try to factor in individual preferences, but ultimately these will be ready-made boards and will be offered on first-come-first-serve basis. I will give the heads up to the folks interested when I am going to post them though.

These boards won't have juice groves as I don't see a reason to have them unless it's a dedicated carving board. If there is interest for carving boards, I might consider making some.

Very nice work. Beautiful cutting boards.

like the magnetic strips as well.

Finalizing design for magnetic strips. Will use Lee Valleys countersink washers and screws to mount these on the wall, so need your input on color - brass or stainless steel. Added a field at the Magnetic Strip Survey below.
    http://www.tsourkanknives.com/index....form&formId=11

I ordered a number of different strength magnets to come up with an optimal pull for both stainless and carbon steels. The knives I will use for experiment will all be in 210-270mm size. An optimal pull will be when the knife is kept securely on the strip, yet it won't be difficult to remove (pull is not too strong).

Name:  01k7001s1.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  38.0 KB

Name:  01k7001i.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  35.1 KB

Or would you rather prefer no-screws-on-the-surface look?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FCK17H3H0JBUSBA.LARGE.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	57.4 KB 
ID:	13609

6 feet on wider boards may lead to rocking on uneven tile counter tops. Not usre it's necessary for board strength over time.

Love the boards - especially the recessed feet and finger groove design.

Pricing?
    Shibui - simplicity devoid of unnecessary elements