Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Cutting Boards and Magnetic Strips

I would like a design that allows to store knives tips up, like in the picture attached in my previous post.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

I really did the mag-block idea Marko. I think it's especially attractive to those who aren't in permanent dwellings, i.e. rental properties, where you can't nescessarily install a strip, and/ or it'd be a pain to deal with said installation and removing it when you change residences.
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

I think I came out with a design for a free standing (with optional wall attachment) hardware block. I think to be 100% sure that you don't tip it, attaching it to the wall with hardware or double-sided tape would be recommended.

It will be 18" across, the knives will be stored tip up, and it will be made of thick walnut with ebony inlays. The design will be reminiscent of Henckels, but not identical. I have looked at hundreds of designs, and note appealed to me as much as Henckels'. Sometimes, you just can't reinvent a wheel.

I will post the block once I am finished, for your input.

Thanks,

M

I think that's exactly what I've been looking for! hurry...

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    After thinking about it for a while, I think I came out with a design for a free standing with optional wall attachment hardware block.

It will be 18" across, the knives will be stored tip up, and will be made of walnut with ebony inlays. The design will be reminiscent of Henckels, but not identical. I have looked at hundreds of designs, and note appealed to me as much as Henckels'.

I will post the block once I am finished for your input.

Thanks,

M

Quote Originally Posted by Anton View Post
    I think that's exactly what I've been looking for! hurry...
    I have heard that before.

I think it will be offered on first come first serve basis. No custom request will taken. Sorry, folks!

I will take all feedback and incorporate it into the future work, but ultimately, I am in the business of making knives. I want to have a line of accessories, but, as it looks now, a guy I wanted to hire is busy with making stairs after hurricane Sandy, and I will have to do all work myself. I won't be able to produce many of the strips, boards and blocks, unfortunately.

M

Cmon! This is such a tease!

I have heard that before.

I think it will be offered on first come first serve basis. No custom request will taken. Sorry, folks!

I will take all feedback and incorporate it into the future work, but ultimately, I am in the business of making knives. I want to have a line of accessories, but, as it looks now, a guy I wanted to hire is busy with making stairs after hurricane Sandy, and I will have to do all work myself. I won't be able to produce many of the strips, boards and blocks, unfortunately.

M

Quote Originally Posted by Anton View Post
    Cmon! This is such a tease!
    True, but focus is much better. Good call, Marko.

I was making light of it, to a degree, but true, there are limits how much I can do. Knives take longest, so sometimes it is good to unwind doing other things, but the wait list is not getting any shorter, and knives are my priority.

I will however try to incorporate preferences for ready-made products.

M

Now that I finalized designes of two wall-mount magnetic strips, I would like to turn my attention to a design of a free-standing countertop blocks. I am thinking of starting with a magnetic block, and at some later time to come add a traditional block that has slots.

I personally give preference for magnetic over slotted designs, for two reasons. Fist, magnetic blocks are typically less complex. Second, in the past, I had some carbon knives rust on me while oiled and stored in sayas, so I think I would prefer a visual check periodically for signs of trouble. And it goes without saying that magnetic blocks will do a better job at displaying your knives.

There are many designs out there, but this particular one appeals to me. Obviously, I won't copy it, but I like the concept and the simplicity of this block. (Knives on this one are stored tips up, so the recess is for handles) A style like that would go along well with my knives and other products.

Any suggestions for alternative designs? As always, thank you. Oh, forgot to add that countertop magnetic block wold be be made out of American Black walnut, my favorite wood.

Attachment 13843

M
    Definitely sign me up for that one. My wife and I decided against mag strips hanging on the wall for fear of our kids bumping or accidentally throwing things agaist them. But the counter top solution fits the bill perfectly.

I will make a prototype and you guys tell me what you think. As I said, nothing is written in stone and to come up with a good design from a fist try is a long shot, but collectively, you have helped me a lot with tweaking the products to your preferences, ultimately, making better products.

I would have to price it to the market, as these projects will be competing for time with my knife making.

M

M