Quantcast
Masamoto KS info to pass on
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Masamoto KS info to pass on

Masamoto KS info to pass on

I've just discovered some new info to pass on to you KS freaks (at least it's new news to me).

I've recently been recalling this thread from Fred's from a coupe of years ago that Chris Lehrer started about a clad blade in Masamoto's catalog. He was questioning why the same knife made with san mai construction is more expensive that the mono-steel version.

As it turns out, Masamoto does make a clad version of the KS wa-gyuto, the KS29xx sereis. The KS31xx sereis is the mono-steel version. I e-mailed Koki, and these are his replies;

Thank you very much for your inqiury and interest.

Yes. Today we just confirmed information about below items.

Massamoto
    KS-3124 Wa Gyuto 240mm (Solid White Steel #2 blade)
    HRC 61 to 62
    Blade Spine Thickness 3mm

KS-2924 Wa Gyuto 240mm (San-Mai, Cladding blade. Blade core White Steel #2)
    HRC 62 to 63
    Blade Spine Thickness 4.3mm

Masamoto explains both of above knives are through traditional hammer forging proces. Masamoto explains KS-2924 Wa Gyuto 240mm has thicker blade, and has higher HRC. (Also KS-2924 has higher price too)

Yes. From the Masamoto’s information KS-2924 has same blade shape as KS-3124.

The KS-2924 has Cladding blade, blade core is made of White Steel #2 sandwiched with soft iron. The entire blade has possibility to get and discolor, also especially the blade core part has possibility to get discolor from the acid ingredients foods such as onion, lemon.

So the KS31xx and KS29xx have the same profile. And interesting to discover that the KS31xx series are hand forged (did not know), not cut and ground from bar stock, the way most all other mono-steel knives I'm familiar with are made. That would explain a slightly higher cost over a similar mono-steel knife from another company.

Just sharing the love. Cheers! mpp
    Shibui - simplicity devoid of unnecessary elements

News to me. Good info bro, thanks for sharing.
    -Enjoy the ride. *** All statements made herein are my personal opinion and nothing more, regardless of tone or context. ***

oooh, i'd be interested in trying a clad Masamoto.

im confused. why would the clad ks cost more? wouldnt the hand forged mono steel be more labor intensive? just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    im confused. why would the clad ks cost more? wouldnt the hand forged mono steel be more labor intensive? just curious.
    you are mistaking mono steel and mizu-honyaki, i think.

I would agree that I expected the clad blade to be less. I thought this was due to materials cost: white steel being much more expensive than the cladding. It seems to me they often use scrap iron for the cladding, which could be free. So a whole knife of white steel would have a greater cost than a San Mai blade. Though, it may be more labor intensive.
    I guess, all in all, it doesn't matter much why; they will charge what they charge.
    -Enjoy the ride. *** All statements made herein are my personal opinion and nothing more, regardless of tone or context. ***

traditional san-mai (i'm making the assumption that these knives are done by hand, and that Masamoto isn't just buying a steel sandwich) construction is more labor intensive than heat treating a piece of metal and grinding it to shape. hand made items are typically not all that sensitive to bulk materials costs, when it comes to determining retail prices.

wow, this could easily fall into the "kitchen knife misconception thread" soon. so if the traditional san mai in this instance is more costly than the mono steel process, im curious what advantages the san mai could have over the mono steel.

The soft clad protects the core. Think about shocks, breakage.

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    wow, this could easily fall into the "kitchen knife misconception thread" soon. so if the traditional san mai in this instance is more costly than the mono steel process, im curious what advantages the san mai could have over the mono steel.
    similar advantages to those mizu-honyaki has over simple monosteel.

+ Reply to Thread