New member question re: knife purscase

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadrach

Reaction score
Hi to all,

First time poster.

Been cooking for 6 months with cheap 6 inch Wustuf and 8 inch Serco, sharpening them with Chef's Choices sharpener. I didn't but either knife, but I think the sharpener
cost more that the knives.

I have to sharpen them every two days to keep any kind of edge.
(I will buy some quaiity stones to keep the new knife sharp.)

I am going to buy my first good knife; looking to spend no more that $100.

I like the Tojiro DP 210 mm, but wonder if I will regret not getting the same knife in 240mm? I have found both online for 89.95 plus.

The 8 incher (Serco) I now use seems plenty big to me, but I am new to all this and don't wish to order the wrong knife due to ignorance.

Have I selected a quailty knife? I intend to use it everyday. Would love to be able to slice through sushi rolls with a single clean cut. :)

Thank you in advance for any advice or comments.

An obvious typo for "purchase"

A general rule of thumb is to get the longest knife you are comfortable with and that fits in with the amount of space and size cutting board you have. If you have a small kitchen with a 12"x16" cutting board getting a longer knife, like a 240mm, may be uncomfortable.

Fujiwara fkm 240mm gyuto and a king 1200 stone is a solid option in your price range.

Back